Stihl MS211 choke rod...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Lee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
OK. Before, I ask my question. I'll have to give a bit of a back story (lot of venting).

I work for a company that is one of the rental divisions of Toromont/Caterpillar. I took on the job as a small engine mechanic. Because, mechanics is easy for me. I started in when I was 6 years old. Started machining parts at the same time. My father was an electro-mechanical tech. So, our garage was filled with industrial lathes, bandsaws, milling machines, etc... and he started teaching me pretty early. I'm not going to get into the being "gifted" thing. Because, I hate when I'm called that.

Anywho. Here's the problem. I have a TON of stuff on my list machines to fix. Ranging from concrete saws, chainsaws, tamper plates, rammers, the list goes on and on. But, I need parts. So, I put in a parts request. No response. I request update. No response. I'm getting pressured to have them fixed (numbers guys). I can't even gen an update on whether or not an order for the part has been placed (and there IS an internal company site for me to keep track of parts ordered for open work orders). None of this is appearing for this particular machine (or any other).

I'm not allowed to order in parts on my own dime. Which I want to do just to get the machine fixed and off my list. So, what I want to do, is make my own. The only problem is, is that I've never seen this particular part in person. Only pictures.

Here's my question. Does someone have one that they can measure the lengths, radius and angle of the bends? I'm going to make a wire bender and make one out of a coat hanger.

The OEM Stihl part number is: "1139 185 1901"

It is particular to only 3 Stihl models. The 171, the 181 and the 211.

I likely have one or two laying around.

Would it be too much to ask to take some measurements and pics from various different angles? I know it's asking a lot. But, I really want this off my list. I was worked on by "techs", at another location. They took it apart. Couldn't figure it out. Put it in a box and shipped it to me to fix (other locations do this a lot). In the process. They lost the choke rod and a bunch of other things.

The organisation and administration of your employer does not appear to provide what is needed for your work. A mechanic needs to get the parts to fix a machine. Even though you have training and facilities far in advance of most mechanics, your time and trouble to make a new part will cost them far more than the five US dollars this rod costs (in the UK). Time to talk again to your employer?
Good Luck

Latest posts

Back