stihl ms260 will start but then stops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viztopia

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi all. first time posting here so here goes. i have searched the forums on this so i hope i am not wasting anyones time. i bought a stihl ms 260 and it was sold as seen. it looked in good condition so i took a chance. the thing is it is starting very good but stops almost immediatley - almost as soon as i start to rev. Has anyone got any pointers here for me on this? i changed the fuel filer as i thought it may have something to do with petrol not getting though but this has not helped.

the advantage of buying used is price, if u dont know how to fix things, that negates the purpose if u have to pay, that being said, it sounds like fuel line or impulse line might be unattached or have a hole in it (common prob.), or u need to pull the carb apart and clean it.

Hello and welcome to AS. The symptom you describe could possibly be the low speed is out of adjustment. The starting point for adjustment is one turn out for both the low side and high side needles. From there, along with the LA screw, adjustments are made so that the saw accelerates, idles and revs per specification.

The carb could also have trash in the inlet screen, and/or the diapragms
are stiff, which would not allow the proper amount of fuel into the carburetor.

Some others on this site can offer suggestions as well.

Good luck.

I agree with the above posts. It sounds like a fuel delivery issue. If it's just quitting, it could be either it's too rich and bogging out (biggest cause would be a clogged air filter- so clean it!), or more likely not getting enough fuel and just dying out.

If you have access to a compression gauge, do a check to be sure that the saw isn't in need of a piston or piston/cylinder.

You did the fuel filter, the next thing to check and replace as neccesary would be the fuel line and then the impulse line. If those are good, move on to the carb. If it is in any way dirty inside or the diaphragm is dried up that could be your problem. Take the carb apart and give it a good cleaning. Use gas or carb cleaner and blow out all passageways in the carb with compressed air. If you're taking it apart anyway, you could just rebuild it and be done. A complete kit for one only cost $6.00 here, so for the price you may as well.

Adjust it in (I believe 1 turn open from lightly seated on both the high and low needles should get you close) and then you can dial it in once it's running.

Hope this helps.

hmmm... That would be a stiff METERING diaphram ;)

Check your L and H carb setting. Depending on where you are, the H may have a limter cap. Also, If it has a WTE carb, the metering arm in NOT level with the top or the bottom of the case. It's 25 thou lower then the TOP of the case. The metering diaphram is NOT the same as the WT/WA carbs. If you need one, the best source is your stihl dealer.

As others have suggested, it's likely your fuel delivery. If it's not carb adjustments, then you need to chck the fuel and impiulse end-to-end. I assume it has decent compression?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back