Stihl o44 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mkarlson

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just thumbing through a somewhat local classified and came acrosss and stihll 044. Says 2 year old Stihl 044 30" bar, $150. I know $150 would be great steal if it even looks good. Question is for you stihl guys. Was the 044 still being produced 2 years ago? I'm currently using a husqvarna 359 and I dont know much about stihls, but i'm pretty sure several years back I used an older 044. Thought maybe the newer models were ms440 or something similiar. Think im going to call the guy here in hour or two to see what he has to say about the saw. Also is a 30" bar too big for a 70-ish cc saw? Couldnt imagine a 30" on my 60cc husky lol

I smell a rat, ms440's been out a while now ... 30" bar is common for many guys cutting balsa wood. :laugh:

I run 18" on mine and 25" on a ms660, 22" on ms460.

Just did a reverse number search on the guy selling the saw and it shows him as 65+. So maybe its an older guy who bought a saw 10 years ago and used it 2 years lol. I dont know guess it wont hurt to give him a call although he is hour and half away from me.

For $150 I would go check it out. If it is only 2 years old, bought new 2 years ago, it is a 440. You can tell by the flip cap tanks on the 440 and decomp, the 044 had the standard screw caps and no decomp. However, it could be a parts saw and have mismatched tanks/covers/cylinders.

The 044/440 was the best 70cc made and has cut more wood than any other saw in that class. The 441 has taken over as a fine replacement.:cheers:

044:
attachment.php

440:
attachment.php

Last edited:
We used to run 32" bars on our 044's with no problems. I have run a 36" bar on my 441 and it handles it just fine. I mostly run the 25" bar on it though. Haven't had that great of a need for the 36" bar since I bought the saw. I plan to get a 660 to run the 36" bar on and keep the 25" bar on the 441.

$150 sounds like a heck of a deal on a 044 if it is in decent shape. Those are great saws! :chainsaw:

Well being nice and courteous got me nowhere today. I read the add at 5 am this morning figured it was to early to call on a saw. So I decided jump on here to see what you all thought about it. In the mean time this guy had several guys call him two of which show up at his house at 8am(which is when I called him) and he ends up selling the saw for $250 :jawdrop: Guess it must have been worth it. He did tell me more then I wanted to hear. He had bought the saw in 2000 he thought, to take down a few large cottonwoods and do some clearing. He said he realized then he was too old for that kinda of work. When I asked him how old he was he said 73 so maybe he was right /shrug

Back