Stihl Warranty Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am going to San Diego this weekend and might be crossing the border. If I happen to buy an old style Stihl would the warranty still be covered in the US? Seems like a stupid question but I would be buying one in the box if I can find it, and don't want to get it home not have it run. Hopefully no gas fumes will be detected. Thanks.

Is it an Old saw still new in box? The warranty starts once it has been registered so if you register it in the US you'll be fine.

I am going to San Diego this weekend and might be crossing the border. If I happen to buy an old style Stihl would the warranty still be covered in the US? Seems like a stupid question but I would be buying one in the box if I can find it, and don't want to get it home not have it run. Hopefully no gas fumes will be detected. Thanks.[/QUOTE

I think you'd need to get a dealer to fill out the warranty card, stamp it with their dealer info, have you sign it, send 1/2 to Stihl and give you half.

I kind of doubt a US dealer would do this unless you bought the saw from them.

Stihl seems to be pretty anal about properly documenting warranty info.

Last edited:
076, good choice. Any idea what they cost? I would imagine that it is built in brazil, I know the ms380/381 are made in brazil along with the 08s. I also believe some 066 were made in brazil. The quality is supposed to be top notch, can't tell the difference.

I have an 08 that my grandfather gave me and my father has an old one kicking around aswell. It would be cool to have a new one to go along with the oldies.

Hi PlantBiologist, I am in San Diego, where in Mexico...

Are you planning on buying the Stihl?

I cant picture any dealer in BCr having a larger saw in stock. The only timber ops are in the two sierras in the northern part of the state. Mostly peckerpole proportions, with dbhs over 3 feet rare.

But wTF do I know eh? maybe lots of gente cross to buy them there for their tree biz's here??

Of course the parque nacional has big trees by the observatory, but not for cutting, LOL

Are you coming to SD for a conference?

Check out the Chaparral institute for soem good info from Rick Halsey etal.

I don't see them covering a saw from the Brazilian plant, purchased in Mexico, under a full warranty in the states. That's like asking for your money back at IHOP because you had a diet coke with your meal instead of lemonade.

Are you planning on buying the Stihl?

I cant picture any dealer in BCr having a larger saw in stock. The only timber ops are in the two sierras in the northern part of the state. Mostly peckerpole proportions, with dbhs over 3 feet rare.

But wTF do I know eh? maybe lots of gente cross to buy them there for their tree biz's here??

Of course the parque nacional has big trees by the observatory, but not for cutting, LOL

Are you coming to SD for a conference?

Check out the Chaparral institute for soem good info from Rick Halsey etal.

I was going to try a place in Tijuana that sells Stihl, don't remember the name off the top of my head though. If I can't find one there, I will be in Meridia Mexico in July so I could check there as well.

Thanks for you replies everyone. I am leaving tomorrow morning and probably won't hear back from Stihl USA by then so I might have to wing it.

Latest posts

Back