Still Stranger STIHL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wendell hollis

wendell hollis

ArboristSite Member
OK stihl fans whats the deal with the .020 and .026 new carbs and probably other models as well. Why do they not have an high speed adjustment, only a low speed screw??? Apperently there is no way to adjust them factory set at 8000 rpm. The one my dealer looked at only turned that and would not even run smooth. You can't have one size fits all don't you have to take into account elevation and etc.? Is this an EPA thing or a consumer protection thing?? Is this the way of the future, for Jonsered also now have carb limiting screw caps. :(

Treeman14

Treeman14

Addicted to ArboristSite
Its to keep idiots like me from trying to "improve" performance and burning up a perfectly good saw. " Let's see, I'll just tweak this adjustment a little. Ooohhh, listen to that baby scream now!"

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

I assume the saws are set for their intended destination with regard to altitude.

HUSKYMAN

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Dont know about the 020 but the 026 should be running 13000-13500 with only the bar and chain, and should not run less than 9000 in the cut or you are not making enough horsepower. The limiter caps are meant to keep the EPA happy also. They can be removed. Anything below 60cc has them now.

jokers

jokers

Addicted to ArboristSite
EPA Regs

I won`t share all the details with you because frankly I don`t clearly remember them, but I do know this much. The EPA mandated that saw manufacturers had to meet certain emissions standards with all models by a certain date, I think it was sometime in 2002. At any rate, a variety of factors affect exhaust emissions and some models could be made compliant with non field tunable carbs while others such as the Husky 272 couldn`t be, and they went the way of the dinosaurs. From what I understand, the EPA did not stipulate that carburators could not be tunable by a "qualified" mechanic, hence limiter caps on the screws of Jonsereds and Huskies, but I would say that Stihl saw an opportunity to make some bucks on replacement carbs since the EPA had shut down their income from selling replacements for lean siezed saws. I understand that Stihl has even gone so far as to purchasing the "rights" and tooling to certain models of Zama carbs that these models are sporting so that you can only buy a replacement through them. I am not a carb expert so I can`t speak with authority, but I have been told by a long time Stihl chainsaw mechanic that there are some instances where a carb has to be replaced because a particle or obstruction is stuck in an orifice that is no longer accessable, due to unique size welsh plugs placed deeply in the orifice. It is also his opinion that a lean sieze could also be the result of such obstructions in a saw used by someone who is not always fully aware of proper operation, such as a typical homeowner who uses the saw once a year and leaves the stale gas in it from year to year. The Husky limiters are simple to remove for tuning so I expect the Jonsereds are the same. In some cases you have to replace them because there is no longer a spring to hold the screw adjustment, and they are required to be replaced by law if a dealer ever removes them or sees that they are missing when your saw goes in for service. I`m sure this will get only more restrictive with time so it might not be a bad idea to save the carbs off those old rocked out saws if they can be crossed to a new model you use. Russ

jokers

jokers

Addicted to ArboristSite
Oh, BTW

I have been told that the non tunable carbs that Stihl uses are generically calibrated to operate anywhere from sea level at Virginia Beach, to the highest mountain elevations of the North American Continent. That doesn`t seem possible, but stranger things have been done.

wendell hollis

wendell hollis

ArboristSite Member
Well the .026 I am talking about had correct fuel mix and was tached at 8000. It would not even pull through a cut like any saw should and smoked like a frieght train, just blubblered. The carb is a sealed one piece unit. This saw was only a couple of days out the door. Smoking like a frieght train is good for air quality???:confused: Jonsey screw caps are getting harder to get around also. I am going to check real good before I buy again :eek: I run a 65cc Jonsey.

Dave

ArboristSite Guru
Wendell-
I forgot the exact procedure, but toenail clippers (or was it a nail file) work real good on the tits on the Jonsy caps.

I haven't had a saw with caps yet that wasn't a screaming leanie when I got it. :angry: