Storage Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowaowb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there I am a new member and have a 5500 Woodmaster for the last three years. This last fall we built a woodshed around the OWB which has worked out very well keeping out he snow, ice and wind. My question is if any body has made out of pallets or something else a way to store firewood that could be moved around with pallet forks on a skid-loader. I was thinking that I could rotate the full ones and empty ones in and out of the woodshed. I wondered if any body has tried this and how it worked out.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know how heavy the steel cage around the totes are? Would the cattle panels at the local farm store be heavy enough if a guy could somehow attach the panel to a pallet?

I would bet the steel of those cages is strong enough. It is holding 330gals of liquid. Depending on the quality of your pallets you could use cattle panel on the sides. I use 4' x 12' cattle/hog panels and cinder blocks to stack wood on.

Brian

I would bet the steel of those cages is strong enough. It is holding 330gals of liquid. Depending on the quality of your pallets you could use cattle panel on the sides. I use 4' x 12' cattle/hog panels and cinder blocks to stack wood on.

Brian

Those cages are NOT strong enough. It basically protects the tank from being struck from object. We buy soy oil in those totes to feed our steers. (most of those racks are constructed of aluminum, and flimsy at that)

You would be better served buying those metal stackable racks like the factories use, or building them.

Those cages are NOT strong enough. It basically protects the tank from being struck from object. We buy soy oil in those totes to feed our steers. (most of those racks are constructed of aluminum, and flimsy at that)

You would be better served buying those metal stackable racks like the factories use, or building them.

Freemind is correct. We have around 50 of those totes at work. ALL of the ones we have are alum frame. I see around 1500 of them a year and I have never seen one made out of steel But that doesnt mean they aren't made?
Tom

Thanks to all that replied. I was trying to think of a way to keep costs down without having to purchase to much stuff. Have a friend that can get me 42" x 48" wood pallets for free I just need to figure out a way to keep the fire-wood on them when transporting them. I was thinking of cattle or hog panels or maybe something else cheaper.

put 4 panels together and slip over the pallet... make just big enough to sip over... set pallet down start stacking wood then slip panels over pallet.. continue filling .. nice thing with removable cage is storage of empty... its kinda what I want to do.. haven't gotten around to doing it yet

Iowa, I used some clamp-on forks and a half pallet to transport firewood. I guess you could use 2 pallets, bolting or screwing em together, in order to give ya a little height to get the forks in. Then wrap the firewood with chicken wire. Here's a pic of my tractor transporting.

I bought 26 boxes of pallet junk pallet tops from a pallet recycler. He made the boxes by just using some 1x4 and nailing up a box onto a pallet. I move them around with my tractor and some clamp on forks

Thanks to all that replied. I was trying to think of a way to keep costs down without having to purchase to much stuff. Have a friend that can get me 42" x 48" wood pallets for free I just need to figure out a way to keep the fire-wood on them when transporting them. I was thinking of cattle or hog panels or maybe something else cheaper.

Why spend the money on panels? If you can get the pallets free, just tear some of them up, to make a box to your likeing. :)

If you can find them in your area, clapped out old apple boxes work well.
Just reinforce the areas that need it.

The newer boxes coming out are plastic, and the wooden boxes will soon be replaced, so snag 'em if you can get 'em.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back