Super Split Arrived

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good looking woodpile there Dan and nice looking splitter. I still can't understand why the splitting wedge appears to be so small on that unit. I have never seen a SS up close so perhaps it is larger than It seems. In any event, regardless of wedge size, the unit apparently splits a lot of wood in a hurry if the operator holds up his end. Perhaps the operating speed of this unit overcomes the need for a larger wedge?
I am thinking that this unit is probably the best out there for speed of production in the straight grained stuff, but not the equal of a top of the line hydraulic for dealing with the really tough customers. I would think if a fella all-ready had a decent hydraulic unit and purchased a SS as well, he would have all his bases covered. The other possibility that occurred to me would be to purchase the SS as your only splitter, run the good wood through that to maximize output, and sell the tough blocks as unsplit blockwood at a reduced price so you don't have to deal with it. I currently have the American CLS AM 25HH and am very happy with it so far, but would consider adding a SS in the future for increased production, as my wife would be willing to run one machine on week-ends at least. I would have to have the sales volume to justify that of course but it might not be all that far fetched an idea going down the road. I would like to hear how much time it is taking you to do a full cord, "128 cf" of wood with your SS in real world time.
By the way, 13" of new snow on the ground as I write this and still coming down steady. I imagine you are getting the same treatment.
regards,

maplemeister: :chainsaw: :cheers: :cheers:

I had the good fortune of marrying into a family that owns quite a bit of land. All the trees seem to compete with each other for daylight so most of the stuff I cut is very tall and straight and doesn't have a lot of branches/limbs until the very top so I can pretty much avoid that stuff. Additionally my BIL has a construction company and occasionally when they take jobs that involve clearing he drops off a few truck loads of logs.

Different people have different needs and requirements for choosing equipment. In addition my experience has been that splitting gnarly stuff isn't the most rewarding activity regardless of what type of splitter you own but if that's what you've got you have to find the best way to deal with it. So I decided if 95% of the wood I split is pretty straight and the SS is many times faster than a hydraulic unit that might handle the remaining 5% a little better, which I'm still not sure is the case, it wasn't a consideration.

As for the size of the wedge, it's 6" but so far it has busted the whole round in half regardless of size.

Last edited:
Unfortunately even the makers of hydraulic splitters don't quite understand the needs of people who split eastern hardwoods. Speeco is located in Colorado and they even told me they don't have wood like we have to test their unit on.
Now them oys making that splitter in Michigan....they understand!

Latest posts

Back