surface roots on new trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffbrown

Reaction score
I planted three 12' "duraheat" b&b river birch on 9-10-06. They were planted on uphill side of hole in sloped yard with root collar exposed and soil sloped away from trunk on all sides. I covered with 3-4" of mulch and supplied daily watering. I pulled back mulch the other day and found large quantity of feeder roots growing on top of soil and into the mulch. The 6-10" feeder roots appear to be growing horizontally from root ball and exiting out soil sloping away from trunk. I can't figure out whether this is normal or I've a possible overwatering issue creating an oxygen shortage or something else.Thoughts and comments appreciated!

Some of this would be expected, though not excessively. Is soil loose enough to breathe and drain; also present a path of low resistance to growth? Clay soil? Sides of hole maid with shovel or treespade deglazed to give roots easy access? Is tree trying to stabilize self against winds?

yes bad drainage may be the problem. Check "New Tree Planting" in the link below.

dig a hole just outside the rootball, at least as deep as the root ball. fill it with water and see how fast it drains.

Latest posts

Back