Suspect Evergreens Poisoned - Any Tests Be Done?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outdorzes

Reaction score
We have various ornamental evergreens. Each year we get some browning due to the winter drying them out as we don't bother to spray them with wax-like sealant help keep in the moisture (as I've seen advised on some sites). This year was the same; however, we've been hit with first one tree suddenly dying, followed by six all at once. They show no signs of disease - they are just suddenly dead toasty brown within a short period and they are different species. They also would be the trees that you'd want to poison to cause the maximum damage as they are trimmed to various shapes and would take decades to grow back.

The reason I suspect poisoning is due to a literal "nut job" that has moved into the neighborhood. In the short period of time he's been here he has served 45 days in jail for threatening to shoot us for taking pictures of his dogs he lets run around, arrested for distributing the peace, and investigated for child protective services. A real winner - he and his girlfriend live off the child support she gets for multiple kids - probably from different fathers. A absolute alcoholic - we've seen him sit in a lawn chair the entire day and have kids go get him beers from the house. There have been other issues such as vandalism and so forth - really sad how small towns have went down the hill - a lot of scumbags from bigger cities moving here because they know there is no immediate law enforcement on hand and they can get away with anything.

That be said, is there any tests that could be done to tell if they have been poisoned. If so, then I think I'd be looking at fences and security cameras as we also have pets which we do not let out of sight, but you never know with this guy. I've lived here over 40 years and I won't be moving :0)

Have them done quickly before the next rain. Further you could have cambium samples probably analyzed.

Can you post pictures of the trees, especially where the upper roots come off the stem? Often, it takes years for trees to die from nursery defects.

This seems to be more of a rant about the new neighbor than an arbor question. Before you make an assumption he is to blame, you need to determine what caused the problem.

We have various ornamental evergreens. Each year we get some browning due to the winter drying them out as we don't bother to spray them with wax-like sealant help keep in the moisture (as I've seen advised on some sites). This year was the same; however, we've been hit with first one tree suddenly dying, followed by six all at once. They show no signs of disease - they are just suddenly dead toasty brown within a short period and they are different species. They also would be the trees that you'd want to poison to cause the maximum damage as they are trimmed to various shapes and would take decades to grow back.

The reason I suspect poisoning is due to a literal "nut job" that has moved into the neighborhood. In the short period of time he's been here he has served 45 days in jail for threatening to shoot us for taking pictures of his dogs he lets run around, arrested for distributing the peace, and investigated for child protective services. A real winner - he and his girlfriend live off the child support she gets for multiple kids - probably from different fathers. A absolute alcoholic - we've seen him sit in a lawn chair the entire day and have kids go get him beers from the house. There have been other issues such as vandalism and so forth - really sad how small towns have went down the hill - a lot of scumbags from bigger cities moving here because they know there is no immediate law enforcement on hand and they can get away with anything.

That be said, is there any tests that could be done to tell if they have been poisoned. If so, then I think I'd be looking at fences and security cameras as we also have pets which we do not let out of sight, but you never know with this guy. I've lived here over 40 years and I won't be moving :0)

Even if they were "poisoned" you'll never be able to pin it on the neighbor.

Was the death progressive, (ie: top down/bottom up), or did it seem to go all at once? Please do post some photos, especially of around the base of the tree. Try and rake a little dirt off to expose where the roots begin to extend out. Also take pics of the growing tip of the tree. It does seem odd that they died together. If you were going to have a tissue sample sent to a lab I'd put my money of testing for glyphosate (Round-up).

Do not provoke him. He will drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience. If you have pets keep them close, he could set out a cup of anti-freeze or similar. Security camera or game camera is not a bad idea (a picture is worth a thousand words). Motion detector lights that only shine on your property are nice but he will quickly determine the edge of detection, my neighbor did. ADT or your local monitoring company provide good coverage at a price. It sounds like he is approaching the repeat offender level but he might have friends or family that can fix his record.

The diagnostics could show foul play but like sac-climb said, you'll never be able to prove who did it. Sometimes the system works but most of the time slowly.

Latest posts

Back