Tackled a big root ball today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreePointer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally brought my super duper bazillion megapixel camera out to a wood site to document one of my projects, but I got the "charge battery" message. :cry: Oh well, I guess cellphone pics are better than none.

I thought about getting this maple to a mill, but there were too many factors running against it. I managed to buck it up for some nice firewood. It's also the first time I've taken on this big of root ball.

Big root ball (28" Fiskars axe next to it for scale):
mapletopple01Small.jpg

Look, there EPA was hiding a marshland underneath the tree. I never knew!
mapletopple02Small.jpg

I marked the entire trunk with the Mingo and started to neutralize the root ball. It gushed some water and then dripped at a steady pace:
mapletopple3Small.jpg

Hey, where did the rest of the tree go???
mapletopple4Small.jpg

Ah, there it is!
0317091647Small.jpg

0317091648Small.jpg

Replace all divots, please:
0317091648aSmall.jpg

Last edited:
There goes the rest of it:
0317091759Small.jpg

Ah, my path is clear now. I feel much better. :biggrinbounce2:
0317091845.jpg

The maple treetop (and a few others) for tomorrow's cutting:
0317091845a.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently the tree got excited with you buzzing your saw all over it... All that hard wood just stood back up erect! The ground was even nice enough to cup the rootball:hmm3grin2orange:

LOL :laugh:

I thought it was just happy to see the 361. But then again, I hope my saw didn't catch anything. The tree did seem to have the drip. :jawdrop:

Last edited:
LOL :laugh:

I thought it was just happy to see the 361. But then again, I hope my saw didn't catch anything. The tree did seem to have the drip. :jawdrop:

Was your saw wearing a full wrap handle at the time? If so, you shouldn't have to worry about that drip...

:D

Latest posts

Back