Termites in two "healthy" trees.. : (

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisianaZJ

Reaction score
Termites in two "healthy" trees.. : ( (pics added)

I have two trees that are suddenly showing signs of active termites. I see the mud crust/shell around areas where the limbs were trimmed back about 1-3 yr ago. (limbs trimmed back to about 1/2-1" from trunk, no tar used)
they are definately termites, and i see them swarp at night sometimes, those are formosan. also had two wood stakes between these two trees and they both had signs of active termites subterranian. great

one is a cypress, other is a maple or oak (smooth bark) i think?... both went thru katrina (see below)

having the tree surgeon come out next week, for now i did spray the exposed termite areas with spectricide to slow them down till the pro gets here.

CAN formosan termites eat "live" wood and roots? or did the stress kill the roots, then were infested with the termites?

pics to follow, but i am certain they are termites

some background
I live near new orleans. Have about 15 20-25yr old trees on property.
one healthy tree near these two was blown over in katrina and was not removed from sept -november. november it was cut to the stump. February the stump was ground down. no evidence of current or past termites during the cutting.
during hurricane both trees were flooded with water up to about 6"-12" up the stump for 2-3 days, and all the leaves were blown off. the cypress los alot of big branches. like 20%
no major limb loss on the maple. oh and we have been in a major drought the last couple months to add to the stress on the tree's

Last edited:
the oak/maple? told might be pin oak
2 spots about 5ft up

healthy up to top (i think) and that close driveway/garage was constructed 15yrs AFTER tree was planted, drive is about 3ft from bottom of tree... and those are two rusted/non working, non HOA compliant trucks i get to look at, dont get me started on that guy

bottom of tree had some erosion, need to cover with soil i think

cypress, about 6-7ft up

Last edited:
There is enomopathogenic fungus that formosan termites are treated with; check tulane or lsu extension.

A borer may be

If there is sawdust at the base of the trees. This activity could be caused by carpenter worm. There is an insct parasitic nematode that if injectd into the galleries will search out and kill eather one of these insects. the nematode reproduces in the dead insect and produces more infective nematodes. The nematodes are available from many sources on line.

Back