The entire solo company is a group of "chain soakers"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefunaro

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I quote from the 651 manual:

"Notes for new saw chains: Before installing a new chain we recommend soaking it in a container (bowl) with chain oil with anti-fling additives that will help the oil adhere to the chain"

That said, I'm likely getting a solo 651sp that's supposed to be in excellent condition for just over $100 tomorrow.

MGF

"Notes for new saw chains: Before installing a new chain we recommend soaking it in a container (bowl) with chain oil with anti-fling additives that will help the oil adhere to the chain"

That said, I'm likely getting a solo 651sp that's supposed to be in excellent condition for just over $100 tomorrow.

MGF

Shhhhh! Don't let Gary hear of this..... a chain soaking thread and an oil thread all rolled up in one!!!:greenchainsaw:

Hope the saw works out well! I have never seen a Solo chainsaw.

My dad was an old machinery mechanic, among many other things. (Really an amazing guy.) He swore by soaking drive chains. Haven't tried it myself, but he generally knows what he's talking about.

but a drive chain is supposed to last longer than a chainsaw chain. a saw chain gets tossed when you file the teeth down, by the time i would see any longer life than a normal saw chain the thing would be too used to be any good.

A drive chain also doesn't get any additional oil once it is installed - the saw keeps using and adding oil while it is in motion. (Atleast for equipment without an oiler).

I can't imagine what kind of a mess a chain would make for the first minute of cutting after having been soaked.

MGF

I have seen that posted if you are talking about the one in Clist. I hope it is the newer one. Great deal. :cheers:

"Before the first use, soak the chain overnight to allow oil to penetrate all chain components."

Page 34 of the Oregon Chain Safety and Maintenance manual.

I have a repair manual I bought on chainsaws and it says that for putting away a saw you should remove the chain and soak it in 30wt motor oil for storage.

I have a repair manual I bought on chainsaws and it says that for putting away a saw you should remove the chain and soak it in 30wt motor oil for storage.

It beats taking the saw out of storage years later and finding the chains all rusty. I was looking at my dad's old Pioneer 1073, and all the chains have rust damage, including the brand new one. The saw hasn't been run since about 1990.

But I see no reason to soak a chain before you put it to use. Before putting it in storage, sure, common sense. The chain reels we get from Oregon are literally dripping in oil already.

I just hang the chains on the wall and give a quick spray with WD-40. Seems to work, but my chains are only stored for a couple of months.

Latest posts

Back