The Goofy Filed Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very,Very debateable...depends on the stone and angles and whats done to them afterwards.
The beauty of a machine its makes every angle the exact same at the exact depth with the exact width.
It would be almost impossible for a human to replicate that with consistancy regardless of magnifying glasses and vernier.
The guys that can are true artists.

It has been said before but it depends who is doing the filing and who is running the grinder (I'd be the loser with either one ha) if someone can grind a chain faster than some of the pro hand filers here, now is the time to step up!

Frank,
Can you post a pic of a "goofy" file, I still don't get it really...:confused:

The ones I'v seen are like a long oval shape, check out the one to the left = http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=62329&d=1199814458 here is where you can get them = http://fedfile.thomasnet.com/viewitems/arborist-forestry/flat-goofy?&forward=1

Last edited:
I wonder if you had a steady hand and a Dremel rig how that would do. You can put many different stones in the Dremel and have the control of variable speed.

I agree, my chains I fire with my Granberg are sharper and stay sharper longer than ground chains.

Frank, just by the looks of those pics, that tooth hook seems a lil scary already to use on a firewood saw/chain. I would not recommend it for anything but cutting cookies by an experienced user.

Can you post a pic of a "goofy" file, I still don't get it really...:confused:

I will bump the other thread where I posted a picture of the goofy, the flat style, and the triangular chisel bit file.

Belgian, no more hook than the round filed chain. The raker clearance controls the amount of bite; because it takes so much less pull to sever the chip it is not really grabby. that is the difference in efficiency. The attached pic. shows how cleanly the fiber is severed with a minimum of energy wasting tearing and crushing. That was done with the flat file that looks like a raker file except the rounded sides are also toothed. After the corner is established you let the file slide down the side cutter and blend in towards the bottom of the gullet. You do not have to push on a chain like that to make it cut. I was just showing how the excess material at the working corner on a round filed chain can be removed without even coming out fully to the contours of the original round filing, that way you do not have to establish new angles. Rick is right about the quality of the files being kind of shabby and they dont seem to be very hard. They stop biting and you cannot horse the pressure on like a round file. A lot of grinders will not allow you to achieve the angles you can get with a flat style chisel bit file so that may have something to do with saying that square ground cannot be as fast as hand filed. Another thing that a lot of grinders do is anneal the tooth edge with heat. Stone selection and dressing is another factor that can come into the equation.
Jacob J. I have one of those tear drop shaped files but it is not what I would call the goofy file.

I wonder if you had a steady hand and a Dremel rig how that would do. You can put many different stones in the Dremel and have the control of variable speed.

I agree, my chains I fire with my Granberg are sharper and stay sharper longer than ground chains.

The reason for the use of the goofy file is to get the part of the tooth between the gullet and the hood to a good sharp corner. That is why the goofy is round on the sides and flat on the face of the file.

Rick

Back