The wood is soon to be gone...kinda sad.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
i was spending the morning now that it has cooled down sorting and retagging my wood for sale, it got me to kind of thinking. Kind of sad isnt it when the wood piles get trimmed down over the winter months? Sure, it means heat for the house and dollars in your pocket, but isnt it kind of sad to see those long stacks disappearing?
Maybe I am weird, but I take a lot of satisfaction visiting the wood piles all stacked up waiting for those winter deliveries. Remembering all the hardwork, the cold and heat indured. All those mangled fingers, sore toes, and the countless brush scrapes on the arms and legs as you clear brush to get to the wood. Almost makes me want to forget the ad in the paper and not answer the phone! Seems that few people are worthy of all this hard work!
Or is it just me?

Good point, but sadly I have never needed an excuse! I just need some more land to store it all in.

Memories

Always interesting how the wood pile ends up looking...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

i was spending the morning now that it has cooled down sorting and retagging my wood for sale, it got me to kind of thinking. Kind of sad isnt it when the wood piles get trimmed down over the winter months? Sure, it means heat for the house and dollars in your pocket, but isnt it kind of sad to see those long stacks disappearing?
Maybe I am weird, but I take a lot of satisfaction visiting the wood piles all stacked up waiting for those winter deliveries. Remembering all the hardwork, the cold and heat indured. All those mangled fingers, sore toes, and the countless brush scrapes on the arms and legs as you clear brush to get to the wood. Almost makes me want to forget the ad in the paper and not answer the phone! Seems that few people are worthy of all this hard work!
Or is it just me?

Hopeless romantic!!

Hopeless romantic!!
My wife says that if I spent as much time with her as i do at the woodpile, she wouldnt spend as much money as she does at the mall!
She laid down the law the other day, no more working after dinner.:cry:

I feel the same way....... hate to see the pile shrink. I take comfort in knowing i have 2009-2010's wood i can still look at (and touch)though. I need to find me some free 2010-2011 wood though. Not an easy task anymore ! :cry:

yep, i feel the same way 'cept the wife feels differnt then some of yours.....:), she says KEEP cutting, we need enough for this winter and the next.......don't want to run out....she LOVES it when she gets cold that she can just toss some more wood on the fire and warm right up.....

here are some old shots.

this can look overwhelming but....
DSC00741SMALL.jpg

you know it will turn into this, sure is refreshing when you know the snow is coming.....

DSC01646smallwagon.jpg

and the baby loves it too...

DSC00739small.jpg

Last edited:
yep, i feel the same way 'cept the wife feels differnt then some of yours.....:), she says KEEP cutting, we need enough for this winter and the next.......don't want to run out....she LOVES it when she gets cold that she can just toss some more wood on the fire and warm right up.....

here are some old shots.

this can look overwhelming but....
DSC00741SMALL.jpg

you know it will turn into this, sure is refreshing when you know the snow is coming.....

DSC01646smallwagon.jpg

and the baby loves it too...

DSC00739small.jpg

I was looking at your pics, and noticed your tractor. Is that an old Wheelhorse? Been trying to find one of them for years that was in good enough shape to take home, they are getting hard to find.
Neighbor has one with a plow and a small front loader, and it is the neatest little tractor for around the yard. Cant lift a whole lot with the loader, but for gravel and such it sure saves on the back.

I see your point... but, if gives you a good excuse to cut more!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

I've got a feeling that avalancher won't be bummed for too long. You see, he has this condition called woodaholism. Before long, he'll have 10 cords piled up.

But let's keep this on the hush-hush in case he donesn't want anyone else to know he has a problem. ;)

I feel ya Man. It's a sort of sadness, like when you quit drinking or drugging. All those times you had, those feelings of accomplishment. Yep sort of like Woodbooga said. That depression that follows any addiction. The good thing is, there's more too do for next year or the one after that! :clap: I'm currently in insulation mode (windows mostly)and taking the seasoned since April wood into the barn. I try and do about 10-20 wheelbarrows full a day after supper. All those beautiful stacks and rows, lovingly sawn, split and piled, gone......all gone..:cry: (Excuse me while I crush up an oxy:clap: )

I've got a feeling that avalancher won't be bummed for too long. You see, he has this condition called woodaholism. Before long, he'll have 10 cords piled up.

But let's keep this on the hush-hush in case he donesn't want anyone else to know he has a problem. ;)

You know what is really sad? This stinking woodcutters forum! Yep, it stinks!
What kind of support group is this, anyway? I came here to get help for my problem, and all you guys do is egg me on! Everywhere I go, I think,"hey, theres a tree down in that pasture, wonder if they want it gone?"
"Hey, thats a nice truck,wonder how much wood that thing would haul?What a waste.Its full of gravel."
A real support group(like AAA,etc)helps their members GET OVER THEIR ADDICTION.
Can you imagine going to an AAA meeting where everyone sits around bragging about how many they knocked back the day before?
Woodaholism is a terrible illness. You cant hide the result of your addiction unless you have figured out a way to bury 20 cords of wood and still keep it dry. You sure cant hide the screeching wail of a Husky biting its way through a big oak tree. Shoot, I cant even go somewhere and feed my addiction without coming home with all the evidense all over my clothes, down my boots, etc.
Then when you are caught red handed out back hugging your woodpile, the neighbors,spouse, and even the dog thinks you are nuts.
Then, if that isnt bad enough, some moron will call you and want you to part with some of that wood, all he wants is to give you a little cash in exchange.
NOPE, THATS IT.I aint selling this year, my pile is just to sacred to me.
:cry:

Last edited:
I was looking at your pics, and noticed your tractor. Is that an old Wheelhorse? Been trying to find one of them for years that was in good enough shape to take home, they are getting hard to find.
Neighbor has one with a plow and a small front loader, and it is the neatest little tractor for around the yard. Cant lift a whole lot with the loader, but for gravel and such it sure saves on the back.
yes, that one is a 74 B-80, was looking ofr a D series with loader and tiller but after seeing some of these logs, we have decided to get a bigger tractor to lift and move the logs, as i get older.

i like the OLD ones. they last sooo much longer, just need a new mower deck for the other one.
does GREAT with the dozer/blade.
can't tell ya the price i paid for ti you would not believe me. :D

my 6yr old took this one....my neighbor had his driveway paved, and they needed a place to put the gravel..lucky me....

DSC03680small.jpg

DSC03700small.jpg

this an 77 C160, and it might be for sale CHEAP :D .....cept it has a 16hp and hydro lift, planning on fixxing this and putting blade on it.

DSC04097small.jpg

Last edited:
Back