There is miracles. Great score today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlNut88

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There is miracles. Great score today. PICS ADDED

I was towing a hay wagon today for a guy, and it was just starting to rain, as I closed the barn door it started down pooring so we were taking shelter in his barn and then ran to his garage to grab a drink and square up money wise. He told me to take a look around because he is moving and most everything is for sale. Of course, being me I immediately turn my focus towards, the obvious, tools, chainsaws, and tractors. I spot an 066 but thats not for sale, he says "I have an old saw under the stairs, take a look if your interested" I pull it out and it's an old stihl, covered with dust about an inch thick, scrape off the tag and it's the one I've always wanted, Stihl 038 av super. (In a recent thread I told the story of why i wanted This particular saw) anyways, I knew I did not have what it was worth in my pocket so I put it back in hopes of running home and bringing back more money.

As I was leaving I heard him yell "Give me $20 and I'm happy"

anyways, it came home with me, dump gas in, fired right up..

Started cleaning it up, took the top cover off, and it gets better, brand new jug and piston, I took the muffler off and it's all brand new, and the jug is still that spit shine new jug look while the rest of the saw shows wear!

The saw Cleaned up pretty good, Needs a new top cover but I'm not complaining by any means. I'm going to give it the royal tooth brush and wd40 cleaning tomorrow. I'll post pics asap.

It's weird I am never this lucky, ever... it's kind of scarey!

Needless to say. I'm thrilled.

MVC-014F.jpg

MVC-015F.jpg

MVC-013F.jpg

Last edited:
Great score!!! You just gotta love it that the old saw in the barn could be a dream saw. Cheers to the folks that pass on saws to those that appreciate them.:cheers:
Lets see some pics!

What a deal! I always say do good things and good things will happen to you. Wow an 038 super with a new topend that is awesome. I would sink some money into that one. New Stihl paint new bar and new covers are in order. I almost forgot change out the fuel filter and clean up/inspect the airfilter.

Last edited:
Great score! And it's the one you've been looking for to boot! Those 038s are great running saws.

I always say that if you keep your eyes and ears open there are plenty of good deals out there on unwanted saws. But $20 for that 038 is outstanding, especially since it's a model you have been searching for. Congrats!

I hope to get some pictures up today. I haven't gotten a chance to do anything to it just yet. I'm glad I found it though and will be putting some money into it for sure.

I just happen to have the brand new 20" bar off the one I owned years ago and about 15 spare chains and the five that came with the saw.. Seems like I'm in good shape with that one!

Now would that be the 72 or 61 cc model. I am not sure about that. Is the super more powerful than the magnum?

Latest posts

Back