Thinking about trying a bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herd8497

Cupcake stand Cookies
Reaction score
I have a read maple that is dead in my yard. Plan to cut it down one afternoon this week after work. Also have couple big oak rounds. One 36" Diameter and the other 42"

I was thinking of trying something like thisimages-1.jpgTo put out by our fire ring.

I don't have a mill for the bench part so I will have to wing it, but have time to mess around and a desire to try it. Not sure how the seat is attached to the bases, but I imagine lags from underneath kind of toed in?

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Jay

You can mill lumber without a mill - just watch this guy!

Seriously, I recommend that you wear shoes. But a key thing appears to be increasing the depth of cut a little at a time, instead of cutting all at once.

I would want the top board to cover as much of the stumps as possible, to minimize water seeping into the end grains and hastening rot. Maybe blind wood pegs between the stumps and top board to hold them in place?

Philbert

I have a read maple that is dead in my yard. Plan to cut it down one afternoon this week after work. Also have couple big oak rounds. One 36" Diameter and the other 42"

I was thinking of trying something like thisView attachment 374870To put out by our fire ring.

I don't have a mill for the bench part so I will have to wing it, but have time to mess around and a desire to try it. Not sure how the seat is attached to the bases, but I imagine lags from underneath kind of toed in?

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Jay

Maple will not last long in the weather. What kind of oak?

You could cut dovetails and let gravity hold it together, or install a pin through the joint. If you use a dry dowel for the pin, the green wood will shrink tight around it. Or you could cut a mortice and tenon and add some wedges. If you are using a chainsaw cut the mortice first because plunging the bar will determine the minimum size. Don

You can mill lumber without a mill - just watch this guy!

Seriously, I recommend that you wear shoes. But a key thing appears to be increasing the depth of cut a little at a time, instead of cutting all at once.

I would want the top board to cover as much of the stumps as possible, to minimize water seeping into the end grains and hastening rot. Maybe blind wood pegs between the stumps and top board to hold them in place?

Philbert

Thanks for posting that.

Russ

Latest posts

Back