Timber Prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor's Hammer

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
After looking at Gypo's pictures of the maple he's extracting, I'm interested to know what sort of prices you get for timber over there. (by the cubic foot or the tonne).
Also, I have about 50 acres of woodland with a lot of sycamore (Acer platanus) as opposed to the Maple. is there a significant difference? I've just cut about 250 tonnes into 2m pulp for chipboard, and anything else will be firewood.

Thor, Here in Michigan hard maple is as mutch as $9.00 per board ft. It has got so high I have been cuttig yard trees.I hauled one log that brought $1721.00 it was a yard tree.Right now I am working in a subdivision in town taking out 200 hard maple trees.

Rick

Thor, it's really hard to establish a price for standing timber unless you can cruise it first. Plus it depends on who it was marked by and how it was marked as well as the region.
But to answer your question. Timber around here is worth anywhere from 250$ - 2000 $/ thousand for Maple. That's on the stump.
It's a tough game and you have to know your grades, your buyers and your trees as well as the regions in which they grow.
Take for example Penn State where we find the best Cherry in the world on the south slope of the Allegany's. If you go to the North slope the quality is poorer.
So it's best to be as well versed in your own area as you can be.
As far as I know Sycamore has limited commercial value.
Hope this helps.
John

Word. I'm getting about £23 a tonne delivered into the pulp mill 80 miles away. Thats why the rest will go for firewood.

It's very ironic. You would think that with timber being so scarce in England it would be worth a pretty penny. Maybe it is that the grade is so low and it never really comes back after being clearcut.
England is known for it's Oak is it not? Also, why are saws so expensive there yet they pulp most of their wood?
Could you not get into Fergi's bush Thor? I think she's got some timber.
I'll call her up and see how her bush is coming along and see if it needs a thinning.
I really like Fergi, she was here in 85 I believe and went on a very brave canoe trip into the North West Territories.
Sir John

It's sucks that we import timber from all over the world instead of investing in our own forestry industry. There is thousand of acres of timber in Sutherland in NW Scotland that is being given away for chipping because it's costs more to harvest and extract than what it's worth :eek:(

Latest posts

Back