Tips on using this (pic)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve NW WI

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Have a pretty nice file guide tool that I've never used. (Confession: I am basically lazy and have about a half dozen chains for each saw, and when I get a nice pile of them dull, I just drop em off on the way to work for sharpening and pick them up the next day.) Anyway, poking around this site has given me the itch to tinker more, so I tried my hand at sharpening a couple of almost wore out chains with a regular Oregon file/guide combo. First attempt was bad, got it plenty sharp, but filed too much off the rakers, and could stop the saw dead just by looking at a log. Second one was much better, actually better than what I usually get when I pay someone else to do it. Cut just a teeny bit crooked, but not enough to bind the bar, and seemed to stay sharp a lot longer than a machine sharpened chain.

Anyway I dug this old tool out of one of Dad's many stashes of "stuff" in the basement. He's been gone for 8 years, but I still get cool presents like this from time to time. At least I know where my packrat instinct comes from!

This is a File and Joint brand. I think I have the basics of how the various adjustments work, but some tips from the cagey vets on here are appreciated.
attachment.php

ATTN WISEGUYS: Yes I know it needs a file in it! It had a 7/32 file, and I needed the 5/32 which was outside in the cold in the saw box when the pic was taken, and I was inside enjoying the fruits of my labor next to the stove :D

Ed*L

ArboristSite Guru
Not to difficult to master. I've used that sytle for years.

Just a couple of things.....I don't use the stop screw that contacts the square bar above the file, take the same number of strokes on each tooth, just like hand filing.
When the cutter stop is set properly the file should hang straight down.

Ed

Friggs

Friggs

ArboristSite Lurker
I'm like Steve and aquired the same type of chain sharpener from my late father-inlaw several years ago and would like to know how to use it.
I haven't tried it yet, due to not having the proper files. I've always had mine sharpened by someone else.

Like Steve said this site gets you tinkering or at least thinking about it, must be cabin fever.
Frank

Latest posts