TN/NC wilderness climb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2DTop

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking for a partner or two to climb a large (15'9" CBH) hemlock along the TN/NC border. Total 3-4 miles walking. Other trees as well. No time frame on this.
Chuck

PM sent. I'm pretty close to the park so let me know when you are getting over this way. I've got a few friends who may be interested too.

I hooked up with 2DTop and David "Hunabku" Obi from another tree site. We got together last weekend and climbed this hemlock. Me and 2DTop climbed the hemlock and Hunabku climbed a large, nearby cherry tree. This was my first rec climb. I've been climbing for 10 years now and have never done it recreationaly. I had alot of fun, I found it to be very relaxing mostly because I didn't have to worry about a time clock or keeping things going to get a job done. I didn't quite go to the top. 2DTop did go to the top. He has a bigger set than me. The top was dead but it still seemed pretty solid. Here's a few pics.
Here is 2DTop on his way up.
attachment.php

attachment.php

We already climbed this hemlock. Tomorrow I'm going to scout some big trees in a remote area of the smokies. I should be able to locate some great specimens to climb. I will go back to climb them in a few weeks or so. Let me know if you would like to go in a few weeks.

sure I have never climbed big trees like that before. All my climbing has be on rock. I would love to give it a try. What gear are you using in the climb? Oh how tall was that tree?

Last edited:
sure I have never climbed big trees like that before. All my climbing has be on rock. I would live to give it a try. What gear are you using in the climb? Oh how tall was that tree?

I use my saddle I climb in every day at work, 1/2 line, pantin and a friction saver. The other guys entered the tree SRT, they had ascenders and what not. I had a 150 ft. rope and it was set around the first big limb. I barely had enough rope to get tied in DRT so that first limb was 75 ft. After that I went up another 40-50 ft. The tree had to be in the 130-140 ft. range. The area of the park I'm hiking in tomorrow has trees in the 150-160 ft range. When a find a few good trees I'm going back in a few weeks to climb.

I use my saddle I climb in every day at work, 1/2 line, pantin and a friction saver. The other guys entered the tree SRT, they had ascenders and what not. I had a 150 ft. rope and it was set around the first big limb. I barely had enough rope to get tied in DRT so that first limb was 75 ft. After that I went up another 40-50 ft. The tree had to be in the 130-140 ft. range. The area of the park I'm hiking in tomorrow has trees in the 150-160 ft range. When a find a few good trees I'm going back in a few weeks to climb.

Where was the saw Kenner? Cool pictures man, that is higher than I'd care to go, The last time I climbed in a tree I was a little kid, Climbing A 80' silo makes me a little shaky, there isn't anyway I'd climb that monster. I thought there wasn't any big tree in the east.

There's some pretty big ones in the smokies. There is about 125,000 acres of old-forest in the park. They are alot bigger on the west coast but we still have some big ones around here.

There's some pretty big ones in the smokies. There is about 125,000 acres of old-forest in the park. They are alot bigger on the west coast but we still have some big ones around here.

Yeah I remember the big baster I nearly hit in the Gap trying to drag a knee on the ground.:chainsaw: Here's a logging truck I followed coming home from Knoxville on 75 a few years back.
attachment.php

Have you ever rode the cherohala skyway? This hemlock was about a mile off the cherohala skyway in the fall branch area.

There is rumored to be an 11' dbh poplar tree in the park. I have never seen it but a couple of pretty good sources told me about it.
There was some 8' and 9' diameter stuff cut out of there before WW2.

Have you ever rode the cherohala skyway? This hemlock was about a mile off the cherohala skyway in the fall branch area.

I have been to Tennesee/NC probably 20 times to ride, and have stayed for about 2weeks at the longest, I had some friends we made that lived in Marysville and Oliver Spring and Knoxville that we'd or I would stay with. I have been to the Skyway each trip. We would start at the gas staion there in the Gap and ride to Robbinsville, NC and start the Skyway and end it in Telico Plains at the little but nice restaurant on the river, Great eating, and we hung out with the owners daughter that I met at cotton eye. From there would would ride back to Knoxville for the rest of the night of drinking!! I can't remember which one is Fall branch, is that the area where you can pull off and drive up hill to a little area with rest rooms and trail heads, about half way through? Now you got me thinking of all the good times I've had down there, I miss going there thanks man:cheers:
attachment.php

There is rumored to be an 11' dbh poplar tree in the park. I have never seen it but a couple of pretty good sources told me about it.

Scroll down on this page to see the world champ tulip poplar. Off Sag Branch in the Smokies. I'm not sure of DBH, but back in '04 it was 168' tall. Awesome climb.

I'm looking for a partner or two to climb a large (15'9" CBH) hemlock along the TN/NC border. Total 3-4 miles walking. Other trees as well. No time frame on this.
Chuck

That's similar in size to the big Douglas fir we had in our 2 acre back yard here in Beaverton where I grew up.

I'd use a ladder to get up past the tree house, and could free-climb it to the top, because is had solid whorls all the way up.

Glad you posted a photo.

I was curious to see what it looked like.

For that waterfall, what's the best view - ground, or up from a treetop? Was the waterfall photo taken from up in a tree?

Hey Mario,
That's an awesome website you have there. One of these days we'll make it out there.

I never can figure out why my kids aren't impressed by things like this. They get glued to a tv watching guys with hand deformities jumping around with their pants falling off but a 2,000 year-old tree means nothing. Wierd.

Chuck

Back