Too much firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolmen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just a quick question ... I now have enough for winter 2009, and I'm working on 2010 winter ... but I've run out of covered space ... I get lots of rain so from Oct tru March wood stacked outside gets mighty wet.

Should I keep it in rounds, lengths 3 - 4', or split and then cover with plastic sheeting come Sept?

What you folks do with excess firewood? I sure would hate to miss getting any when its there for the taking.

Cheers

:)

Krusty, you have inspired me with this post! I have two dozen poplar logs sitting at a friends house and a small mill.Im gonna mill those logs into beams and build me a woodshed like you got pictured.Looks great!

Krusty,

How 'bout we drop you in my back yard? :)

Dolmen,

Get it off the ground and if you want to cover it, just keep the rain off the top, leave the sides open so it can breathe.

Thanks everyone ... Krusty I might have to pass on your idea just now, your idea of a weekends work could take me forever :dizzy: Though it would look great in my yard :clap:

I think it will be a tarp, at least for the time being.

Cheers

What you folks do with excess firewood? Cheers

You learn that there is never, ever, any such thing as "excess firewood" :)

tarps are your best friend when all else is filled to the brim.

Last edited:
If I ever run out of barn space than it would be confirmed I have too much Firewood:)

home.jpg

Beautiful woodshed Krusty. I like the design although for me, I'd just have the roof and leave the sides open (unsided). :cheers:

You could drop me in the middle of the Alaska wilderness with nothing but a chainsaw, hatchet, and buck knife. 3 weeks later I'd have a small cabin complete with stone fireplace.

It's been done before.
http://www.amazon.com/One-Mans-Wild...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237469233&sr=8-1

My local PBS station always puts his video on during pledge week. Hard to imagine all that guy must have gone through to film it. Little pain in the ass stuff, like if you want to film yourself paddling the canoe away from shore, you have to plan the shot, set up the camera, paddle away, then come back and retrieve the camera, .... must make everything take twice as long.

Edit: Did Krusty say "chainsaw"??? I guess he forgot to add a big honking gas can to his list.

Last edited:
TaxMan...I love that show. I try to tune in every year just to watch it. If it wasn't for the fat ponytail guy during the breaks, it would be perfect..(=

Well yesterday I got five new tarps ordered ... so now I can keep cutting fallen lumber and know I can get it under cover.

Quick question for those in the USA or Canada can you legally cut trees during the summer? over here we have to stop end of Feb to allow birds to nest! if its fallen before then we can work with it!

Cheers

:clap:

Well yesterday I got five new tarps ordered ... so now I can keep cutting fallen lumber and know I can get it under cover.

Quick question for those in the USA or Canada can you legally cut trees during the summer? over here we have to stop end of Feb to allow birds to nest! if its fallen before then we can work with it!

Cheers

:clap:

Such regulations are for the birds.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

To be fair, much of the US is under a far more sizeable canopy than Ireland. At least the Ireland I've seen in pictures.

krusty; if you can do all that with that little i need you in my back 10 out of 320 acers. i got a lot of trees that were payed for but not cut so i hope you can do what you say you can.....i got a equipment renter 50 miles away i hope you hae fun :chainsawguy: :biggrinbounce2: :yourock: :hmm3grin2orange:

Cut 5 cords a year out of the national forest anytime you want with a $60 permit.

Connecticut State Forests are $30/cord for 2 or 4 cord lots. State marks the trees to be taken and assigns you a lot. Not sure on the exact mechanics of how their system, other then it's first come, first serve sign up within an area by email on January 1st, and they don't guarantee all requests in a year will be accomodated. Once you're accepted to get a permit you have to meet the forester in person to go over the rules, get directions, and such.

No generic restrictions on when you can cut trees on private lands, but I'm sure for the state permits there's conditions like no hauling wood during mud season, etc.

Latest posts

Back