Took my FIL out for his birthday, I came home with the present!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmurph

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
i took my FIL to eat yesterday for his 80th birthday. afterwards, we went back to his place. he is a retired tree planter and has a couple of saws i have been eyeing for a while (the other is a 266 with a bow). well, out of the blue he asks me if i want the 61? did i hear you right? so, i said let's go take a look, maybe i can get it going.

so, off we go to his shop and piddle with it. it will fire with a shot of gas. the fuel line feels like jello and it has a thick layer of grease and crud. i kept telling him i would fix it and bring it back. he insisted i take it home and keep it. i want to at least show him what it looks like and let him run it. it will then probably go on a shelf and come down occasionally for a little work. i am very pleased that my son will have chainsaws from both of his grandads. i have my dad's super 66, which was the first saw i ran, and the only one we had for many years.

when i got home last night, i was in the shop within 10mins blasting and scrubbing. i pulled the muffler and the cylinder has some VERY light scoring. i am planning to open it up, replace the ring and clean the cylinder. the CC also has a very small JB repair on the bottom. i am not sure it was deep enough to leak oil from the tank, and it looks solid, so it will be left alone. the other problem is the chainbrake/clutch cover will need to be replaced (does anyone have a spare?). otherwise, the saw is pretty sound. the bow bar looks to be in good shape. i am thinking it will look right at home on a 262!!

this saw is a 1984 model, i am guessing it is the 3.6hp version? does it have open transfers? i was looking last night for pistons, and everything could find was a two ring; this saw is a single ring. can anyone give me the ring measurements or point me to a source?

one funny thing was said yesterday. he was showing me the saw and pointed out that the muffler didn't have a deflector. he said that the man at the saw shop where he bought saws always pulled them off!!! i laughed and told him we called that a MM!!!!

here are some bf pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

looks like a nice looking saw i bet it wouldn't take much to get her running again

You definitely need to get that old girl up and running and let your FIL get a peek at her. I can't wait to see more too.

...he asks me if i want the 61?...i kept telling him i would fix it and bring it back. he insisted i take it home and keep it.
... i am very pleased that my son will have chainsaws from both of his grandads. i have my dad's super 66, which was the first saw i ran...

That is :msp_thumbup: beyond words!

I bet it is going to be a nice saw. It looks great already! Got to love when the old timers come down with a saw and say" here ya go". Congrats on the new edition!

Did your FIL add the small holes to the front of the muffler or were they stock also?

Last edited:
That muffler mod has the signature of Husky Power. They were the Husky distributor for that area during that time. They later went to a mod where they used a 20p nail. That did not require the muffler to be removed.

Latest posts

Back