Tops & Branches Best Practices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Bohen

Reaction score
My wife and I recently purchased a farm in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont with a Forest Management Plan. We want to sell Maple sap from one of the stands which is predominantly sugar maple but want logging to occur first so that once a sap pipeline is installed it won't have to be logged for at least ten years.

I want the cut-to-length method of tree harvesting used which leaves tops and branches on the forest floor.

What best logging practices should I expect of the logger to minimize collateral damage of sugar maples not harvested?

What logging best practices should I expect of the logger to minimize tops / branches obstacles for the pipeline install crew?

Well, you've chosen CTL already. Make sure your ground is not too steep. We will assume it is not. First, research the various loggers. Go look at what they've logged and talk to their customers. Is there a logger certification program there? Do you have county or state foresters? The latter would be good to consult. Getting a good logger would be a high priority. Consult a forester to figure out that 10 year plan. I'm assuming it is a big enough acreage to be logged without a loss?

I'm just answering in general. I know nothing about maple sap harvesting, except if you boil off the sap at night, evil spirits will find a way to interfere--Chippewa/Ojibwe lore and confirmed by a guy I worked for.

A good operator using a processor can do an excellent job. Be advised that trees will have to be cut so the machinery can move through. Some processor operators do not know that their machine has a reverse--stay away from those. The processor can move around a bit. A forwarder needs to move in straightlines, or trees will get scarred up. That's something else to consider.

Are your trees in rows? If so, how are your rows spaced? Trees planted in rows where I worked were 10 feet apart. That is too close for processors to fit through so we took out a row for it and to use as a skid trail. The processor could reach from that opening and get the sticks close to the skid trail for the forwarder.

Minimizing damage? Read the first paragraph. Then, before logging starts, walk through the area with the logger. Let them know what you want, then listen to what they can do to meet what you want. A good logger will do that. Will you need to mark the trees to cut? Or can you find an excellent logger who can best minimize damage by cutting what he knows you want, and what he needs to move around in without a lot of damage. Those folks are out there but chances are they'll be busy because they are good. Then, go over how YOU can go out and be safe during operations, or maybe in the evenings after they are done, and be safe. Walk through your area and check things. This is very important to do on the first day. Ask questions. But be very careful about approaching working equipment. They have STAY BACK 300 FEET printed on them and there's a reason for that. If you can throw, a universal signal for "I need to talk to you" is to throw a stick so it crosses horizontally in front of their cab where they see it. Don't approach until they shut things down. You need to go over that with them. Minimize damage to your soil by discussing and agreeing when operations should stop if there is wet weather. I've seen logging equipment up to its belly in deep mud and it doesn't look pretty during or after. If a logger talks about that being fun, run away.

And, get a contract.

Limbs and tops can be smashed down in the skid road. A good operator will put some of the limbs in the skid trail. That provides a bit of cushioning for the soil while the forwarder goes back and forth. If a skidder is used, that's a moot point because the slash will get scraped off by the dragging logs.

Loggers appreciate fresh home made cookies. Those can be served at the first meeting and used as rewards and bribery for good work.

Slowp; Thanks for your comments. You made some good points that I may not have thought of.

We have a private forester that created the Forest Management Plan that I am working with. The forester will engage a logger that in their professional opinion and experience is appropriate for our harvest. We will have a contract. As you suggested I will visit the job site soon after the harvest begins.

At first I preferred the feller-buncher harvest method because the tops and branches would not be left in the sugar bush. The reason I chose the CTL method is because here in VT, any sugar bush that is or wants to become organically certified must leave tops and branches on the forest floor for the long-term health of the forest. Makes sense to me.

While wallowing through mud up to your belly is fun in yer buddy's beat up truck, its not so much fun in a skidder or forwarder, usually it means an hour of dicking about trying to get unstuck, and another hour or more of trying to fill in said hole with branches and tops so you don't get stuck on the second trip...

It was fun for a couple of guys. They seemed to get into trouble when dad was absent. We went out to their unit to see how wet things were and they had been having skidder races, in the mud, and had made a mess. Spinning tires in the mud was part of the race. Needless to say, they were told to go home for the rest of the day.

They were the same guys that rode the rigging out when they had a yarder unit. Their dad didn't like that either.

Dont´t know how big those trees are, how much of how big branches there will be. For conservation and o´ologistic purposes, the bigger dia pieces are better (there was nice survey on this carried on in boreal forests). The branches and tops can be bucked to forms and lenghts as not to be over knee height and left as is, if the terrain and overall lay direction permits for +/- linear means how to get through the stand then for the pipeline crew. Otherways, a chipper with spreader is surprisingly nice thing for dealing with this.
If the wood is of some market or technical (dense, not much knots etc) value and not damaged by sap collecting in previous decades, I´m big into man with saw. The feller-buncher is perfect for pulwood conifers and realy nice to have around in blowdowns, but from end user view nothing more frustrating than buying a plank for some real technical purpose just to find out that 2" under bark are damaged by pressure of the rollers. Or have some nice wood capable to bring a nice pricetag and see the same damage, so the price tag is gone...
The advice you´ve been given here is pretty sound.

Skidder mud race in a unit, or idiot rushing to finish no matter about drizzing 4" in two days? Have seen sth alike several times and came to conclusion that this is the real background of invention of throw-axe and pump shotgun

Latest posts

Back