Tree climbing on TV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Dunlap

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Last July Mike Oxman and I lead a mixed group of professional arborists
and recreational tree climbers on an overnight campout in a 230' Sitka
Spruce on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. Along on the adventure
was a film crew from the CBS Sunday Morning Show. The segment is
scheduled to be broadcast this Sunday 10/13. The show is normally
broadcast from 8-9:30 am Central time. Since this is TV, be sure to check
your local listings before you set the VCR. Also, some scheduled
segments get shuffled at the last minute. If so, I'll let you know when
the segment is rescheduled.

Tom

CBS Morning News with Rita Braver

:blob2: YIPEE YIPEE I checked the website and it is listed. So as far as I know it should run tommorrow morning. Hope that they get the surprize ending editted well. Stay turned.

Dan House (one of the two if the crew that cooked the meals and slept aloft)

The VCR is set

I'm looking forward to this! I will attempt to put the clip into a digital version so people who missed it will be able to watch it. A caveat - I won't publish it online freely because I'd hate to have a copyright lawsuit this early in life. Wait a minute....I wouldn't want one at any point in my life. The patent lawyer I know drives a 911 Porsche Turbo. :eek:

Nickrosis

Aww shoot. I might as well stay up and watch it....it's only 2 hours away from starting. What did Ben Franklin mean when he said "early to bed and early to rise?" Early to bed as in early AM? Early to rise as in early PM? Do I have this backwards? I'll iron it out one of these days.....

Nickrosis

I just saw the opening of the show. The tree climbing story is going to be on towards the end of the show. You still awake Nick?

Tom, Dan and other stinkers!

Nobody ever told us there was going to be a marriage proposal in the clip!

As with most TV clips on climbing, it was great but too short!

Great coverage and story, guys. Congrats Tom and Mike. And of course Peter and Patty. As well, Dan House...mover.

First, 60 yr old similarly handicapped Toshiko's Stagg redwood climb, covered in last spring's Smithsonian, and now Patty's inspirational climb. Gotta love such success stories!!

I don't bleed, I drip sap!

Well, I couldn't give away the punchline! It was amazing be on the ground when Patty came down. She has a powerful spirit. The night in the tree was uncomfortable because she was cold but that didn't upset her that much.

I'll bring my Moonlight Majesty Climb pics to TCI if anyone wants to see them.

This is the system that I rigged for Patty so that she could get into the tree:

http://www.rescueresponse.com/html/news02-02/highlight.html
If a throwline is attached to the upper ascender and then draped over the limb, the climber can advance the rig as they go. In case of an emergency, the Gri Gri can be used as a descender. I think that a Pantin could be attached to the hauling end of the line to make the rig even more effecient.

Tom

I hopped on the couch after posting, thinking I would just watch the clip and sleep all day (it's the weekend). Well, I woke up at noon with the TV tuned to CBS, but I have no idea how that happened.

If you would like to see the clip, let me know......I digitized it. ;) The file size is presently 440MB, but I will render it once the computer lab reopens, and I can be there for an hour while it processes and compresses. Should be about 30MB when I'm done - and pretty good quality, too.

Nickrosis

Back