tree houses......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budroe69moni

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
here's a new one that happened to me today..........
i stopped by a potential customers house to give
a bid on cleaning out a 60' live oak. 1/2 way thru
my rap about the job the customer asks me if i
know anyone that can install a tree house about
15' up. has any had any experience w/ tree houses????
he totally caught me off guard w/ this question. i
explained to him that it had to be done in such a way
as not to harm the tree.....is there such a way possible????
i used to build them when i was growing up but that
was w/ scrap wood out of the shed but that's about it.
budroe:cool:

Most people just start nailing boards to the tree. With my experience in arboriculture, I'd recommend he find a carpenter who will build the treehouse on anchored stilts, making holes in the floor/walls for the tree limbs. This would be more expensive initially, but would be less harmful to the tree if built properly.

I've worked for one person who had it done the way 165 suggests. It was quite an elaborate tree house/deck. It made accessing the tree easy but I had to avoid dropping anything heavy because I was working over a 'building':D

Tom D. did one last year. Seemed to have turned into an albatross for him though. Way too time consuming.

Find a carpenter you can work with I would think.

i'd give a prune price and walk away. its not what you do. you will only get burned by a low bid, bad carpenter, kid falling out, etc. theres just way too many variables for you to loose money. " well i wanted a bigger window" then a nieghbor calls the building dept etc...

I've built three tree houses now. The first was for my nieces in Dallas. If the job were bid out I would guess the value would have to be around $2,500. I built it as a gift :) The next one came to $4,500. One end of the two beams were attached to the tree with brackets that I welded. The other ends of the beams were supported by 5x5 posts. The third one took me a while to complete but is the most elaborate. Came to about $8,200. I'll put my carpentry skills up against any carpenters tree skills and I'm confident that I'd be ahead.

Building a tree house without "damaging" the tree is not a huge concern for me. Does anyone prune a tree without "damaging" the tree? Every time a live limb is cut off the tree, its damaged. That doesn't stop anyone from pruning and, a lot of the time, over pruning trees. When I drill a hole in to a tree to anchor the tree house I acknowledge that I've wounded the tree. This is taken into account during the design phase.

Nothing would stop me from building more tree houses. The pay is good and a lot less risky than pruning and doing removals.

Tom

Tom, did you have any blueprints or sketches to work from? Or did you just wing it? I, for one, would be willing to part with a few pesos to get a copy of your design.

There was a local guy here inn Philly that sold his company to Save-A-Tree. They told me he was building tree houses.. I gave him a call and he was getting 30 and 40K per house.. He was working in Californai and on the east coast. If I can dig up his web address I'll post it..
I think you got to love it... both trees and building. And don't forget to hit-em -up.... for the cash.
God Bless,
Daniel

Tom reads John's response, cocks his head, strokes his chin and says, "Hmmm...."

When I've started to design the treehouses I consider them to be a deck off the ground. Sometimes the tree house uses the tree as an anchor point, other times I use a post.

The last time I was at Home Depot I looked at a deck building book either by HD or Black and Decker that was pretty complete.

Here are some tree house links:

http://www.treehouseplans.bigstep.com/

http://www.irw.co.uk/peartree/home.htm

http://www.treehouses-by-fairoaks.com/

http://www.treehouseworkshop.com/

If you want to read some good books, do a search on Peter Nelson and treehouses. He has three books in print that are pretty good.

Tom

Latest posts

Back