Tree ID Question....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickfromWI

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey folks,
I am in sunny Southern CA right now and I have a question about a particular type of tree. We were camping at Cachuma Lake campground and my girlfriend, her two little brothers, and I climbed a couple oak trees. But what kind??
The rangers said they were Live Oak. The leaves were much like that you'd find on a Holly, with poaky/prickly points at the tips of the lobes. the leaves were about 2-4 inches long. The trees were not ever more than 70' tall with a beautiful spreading crown. Any ideas?
I was thinking it'd be neat if there were a section on here dedicated to questions just about Plant Identification. What do you all think about that?

love
nick

Sounds to me like Quercus acutissima, otherwise commonly known as Sawtooth Oak.

Here's a few attached pictures to help out with the visual!

I don't think so...

Those leaves in the pic look longer and thinner than the ones on the tree I climbed. The leaves on this one were shaped almost identical to what you'd find on a holly. Short, arched, stiff, and pointy.

Thanks!

love
nick

That's it, Bob!!!!

A Coast Live Oak!!! With those funny pointy acorns! Mystery solved. Thanks, Bob.

love
nick

ps- (they are fun to climb!!!)
pps- Are these the same as the live oaks that you all have in the South East?

Sorry John, we just see those so often here in Bottineau that it was just second nature. (in the old dendro samples)

Bob

Well how about that my 1st. day on Arborist Site and I hear somebody is camping in my old stomping grounds.....Lake Cachuma,..... boy haven't heard much about that place for much to long! I grew up and learned tree care in Santa Barbara......Haven't been to S.B. for about 15 years though. I was going to say Coastal Live Oak or Vally Oak, miss those trees.....very nice! Enjoy your stay Trout/Bass fishing very good there......or used to be

Everybody sing

It's a small world after all
It's a small world after all

;)

Welcom to ArboristSite!

So are you like Underwood and specialize in box elder, and cottonwood? Where he is from Russian olive is an ornimental.

Latest posts

Back