Tree Id

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danrclem

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of tree this is? The wood is very white. The bark is smooth with wartlike protrusions. Is it any good for firewood?

Thanks

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

My vote is for Hackberry, I have some in the wood pile but I really don't think I have burned any yet, if I have I don't remember.

I had looked at hackberry on the VT site and didn't think that it looked like it. I went back to look at hackberry again and sugarberry came up. I'm pretty sure that it is sugarberry after looking at the pictures. The leaves are the same and the fruit is the same. It didn't have a good picture of the bark. It did say that the bark was smooth with corky warty patches.

Last edited:
I know it as Hackberry, sometimes known as Sugarberry also. It will split easily with an axe, is good for heat and burns readily when cured. Keep it dry, in the sun with the bark side up, it does deteriorate quickly. So it isnt a good wood to hold back for when you arent able to go cut your own anymore.

Nice find, I ran onto some Ash mixed with Hackberry and Maple this morning. Even if there was Locust behind it, I would have gotten this to get to the Locust.

I'm guessing that both of these are considered hackberry or the site that I have a link to made a mistake..

I couldn't get a direct link to work. Go to this site and put in Ky. for the state and hackberry for the common name.

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/DENDROLOGY/factsheets.cfm

The one that is called hackberry on that site is definately not what I have. The leaves on mine are only partially serrated and the bark is different.

Last edited:
Definitely hackberry.

I split some KY hackberry today that was cut last spring.. I have a lot of it on my property. Not all hackberry has as wart like of a bark as that but I have only seen hackberry with that type of bark. Most hackberry will have a darker center but once in a while it is white throughout like yours seems to be. The bigger the tree the bigger the dark core. It seems to be somewhat stringy to spilt and you have to tear the strands apart from my experience.

Really heavy when fresh cut but gets pretty light after it dries since its got a lot of water in it. It is on the lower end of heat value for hardwood like sycamore. Not as good as oak, locust, hickory, etc. but still better than soft wood.

I have cut and split a lot of it and it is a very common tree in central KY along with the wild cherry and the locust (as far as along roads and fences).

I know it as Hackberry, sometimes known as Sugarberry also.

Are you saying that Hackberry and Sugarberry are the same???

No, they are a different species. They are closely related and somewhat simliar though. Netleaf Hackberry and Hackberry both get called Hackberry. Elm takes in several varieties also all of them called Elm and accepted as such.

Celtis africana - white stinkwood

Celtis ehrenbergiana - spiny hackberry

Celtis laevigata var. laevigata - sugarberry

Celtis laevigata var. reticulata - netleaf hackberry

Celtis occidentalis - hackberry

Back