Tree & Landscape Fertilizing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayou Chet

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am a recent migrant to NE Louisiana. I am semiretired from 35 years in the tree trimming & maintenance business in Southern California. I was (and am) a certified arborist for about the last 10 years of that time. I have been advised by locals here that there is opportunity locally to start a tree & landscape fertilization service. I have some recollection that I have read and heard disparaging remarks by instructors & authors toward the practice. If clients are seeking such service, are there alternative products that can be applied to get the results folks want without the negative side effects of commercial fertilizing. In other words is there a way to make a buck and not violate conscience or evolving professional standards? Also, are there conflicting points of view on the subject?

In other words is there a way to make a buck and not violate conscience or evolving professional standards? Also, are there conflicting points of view on the subject?[/QUOTEYes and yes. Buy the BMP's to see a consensus

There is nothing wrong or unethical about fertilizing trees or lawns as long as it's done professionally and correctly. The ISA has a tree fertilization standard available at their website called ANSI A300 part 2. It explains many of the things you have concerns about. With the evolution of the Tree industry has come numerous products, other than your standard NPK for use with trees and lawns. Bio-stimulants, soil innoculants, organic fertilizer and others. It sounds like you have a good chance to start a new business down there, and in this econmy I would give it a go.

Latest posts

Back