Tree trimming made easy, with pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
There are several spruce trees in the yard that were planted a while back, and all were left untrimmed and untidy. Seeing that they are now ugly because of the lack of maintenance, I decided to trim them back to shape.

Then I realized, I had no way of reaching some of the top branches of the one I was working on today. So this was my solution-

Takes all the hard work right out of the equation, doesn't it.

0415091642.jpg

I cut a Humbolt in this one, the first I'd ever used on a standing tree (I'd practiced them before). I decided I wanted the tree to jump a bit so it landed in the field and not on my lawn.

It did, and got some distance-

downsized_0415091644.jpg

downsized_0415091643a.jpg

downsized_0415091643.jpg

As you can see in pic #2... I've got more firewood than I know what to do with, all hardwood, so this I just chunked up and put in an out of the way place. Easy to find one on 145 acres.

0415091809.jpg

I got the whole trunk cut up and hauled off this afternoon, not bad for about 2.5 hrs work. The branches and tops will be tomorrow.

0415091943.jpg

Last edited:
Another good Branson

I see you have a Branson. I hope you like it. I have the 4220i that I bought last year. I love it. I bought a grapple for it on eBay, makes my wood cutting a heck of a lot easier.

I see you have a Branson. I hope you like it. I have the 4220i that I bought last year. I love it. I bought a grapple for it on eBay, makes my wood cutting a heck of a lot easier.

So far, it has been worth its salt, for sure. This one is a 3820i... basically the same tractor, little less engine. Plow with it in the winter, haul wood... maybe some haying this summer. We've got an older 65 hp Massey Ferguson ('64) that will do mowing and bailing, but it's not the most reliable running tractor in the world, so it's nice to have one that always starts when you turn the key.

I found the Bransons to be much heavier built tractors over all compared to others of the same power... that and its reputation for quality and durability.

Marc your ancestors have to be turning over in their graves knowing that you are using the homestead for a landfill.

At least cut it up for campfire wood...spruce burns so bright and fierce you can read a newspaper 200' away from it. What a disgustingly sinful act to commit you should be ashamed of yourself.

Marc your ancestors have to be turning over in their graves knowing that you are using the homestead for a landfill.

At least cut it up for campfire wood...spruce burns so bright and fierce you can read a newspaper 200' away from it. What a disgustingly sinful act to commit you should be ashamed of yourself.

Lol. You mean the same ancestors that dumped all their trash over the bank on the edge of one of the fields? Did you not know that every farm, at least in New England, had their own dump?

I'm dumping a biodegradable substance that will also, incidentally, make a nice home for some wildlife.

Or, you're right, I could burn it in a campfire and turn it into mostly harmful, particulate laden air pollution.

Unless you're just trolling. In which case, congratulations, I took the bait.

Gotta admit,

Those top branches are much easier to reach when the tree is horizontal.

Also, stack the brush and tops and burn them. There's nothing my family and neighbors enjoy more than the annual "Burning of the Brushpile." Makes no difference if it's mine or one of theirs, it's usually is one of the top social events of the winter season.

Take Care

use it for shoulder season burning or to help get a room up to temp quickly/jump-start you hardwoods.

Lol, I've got about 2 cords of pretty soft elm for that. Trust me when I say I have more wood than I know what to do with.

I've added at least 3 more cords on since I took this picture-

P1020361.JPG

I'll have to sell some to family friends and whatnot, just to keep the hardwood I got from going south in four years or so.

your a friggin animal! thats a ton of wood. i cant wait till saturday. saturday is loggin day for me most everyweekend.

i gotta go to my parents to cut some stump out tomorrow though. that is after i have the pleasure of going to the dmv :(

your a friggin animal! thats a ton of wood. i cant wait till saturday. saturday is loggin day for me most everyweekend.

i gotta go to my parents to cut some stump out tomorrow though. that is after i have the pleasure of going to the dmv :(

Yeah, somewhere between 15 and 20 cords this year. Not bad I guess considering it was all split with a maul and wedges.

I feel your pain with the DMV, I used to live in Woodstock. I've been to the Norwich DMV at the height of summer... and now I know what hell is.

Let me know if you ever want/need some spruce to burn. I'll give it away. I've got blue and white :cheers:

Back