Tree vandalism in Central New York

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EngineerDude

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Uhh, well, I was sitting here wondering what forum to place this one in, when I saw to my considerable surprise the thread on tree vandalism in Central Oregon, and the choice became easy. This one pales in comparison, but the concept is unfortunately similar. From "The Ithaca Journal" today, 10-Jan, '07:

Vandalism of symbolic tree at IHS forces its removal
By Topher Sanders
Journal Staff

ITHACA — The pine tree in the middle of Ithaca High School's quad area likely witnessed many first kisses in its 40 years there.

The tree was cut down on Sunday after vandals gouged a large portion out of its truck with a chainsaw.

The gouge made the tree unsafe because it could have fallen at any time, said Karen Rachetta, assistant principal at Ithaca High School.
The tree was planted in 1966 by the senior class and has graced the cover of numerous IHS yearbooks, said Rachetta, a former student at the high school.

“It just really symbolized Ithaca High,” she said. “Every time I walked by that tree it was a connection to past students and teachers.”

Superintendent Judith Pastel called the incident “senseless” and “heartbreaking.”

The vandalism was discovered on Sunday by custodial staff. The tree was cut down several hours later.

The Ithaca Police Department is investigating the matter. The school provided police with surveillance images of the incident, Rachetta said. Rachetta wouldn't give details about any possible video footage of the vandalism. One school official did video the tree's last moments as it was being chopped down, Rachetta said. The military funeral song, “Taps,” can be heard as the video plays.

Rachetta said feelings about the incident are mixed among the student body with some students being upset and others showing indifference.

Two students even attempted to boost the school's spirits about the incident by nailing a smaller pine tree to the stump of the former pine. Other students kicked the smaller tree down sometime during the day.

“Some of our freshmen haven't been here long enough to understand the meaning of the tree,” Rachetta said.

The school plans to place a tribute to the tree on their bulletin board and a blog has even been created in honor of the tree.

Back