Trees for salty and sandy enviroment.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeBarber

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello to all, I am looking for a type of tree to plant in a windy and salty environment. We need some trees that would provide a wind brake and would grow well in the salty sandy soil. The location is a Coast Guard Station on Ediz Hook, Port Angeles Washington., and the station is situated on the end of a three mile long spit extending out into the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Pat.

pinus said:
Look what trees are growing naturally around yours location.

This was the only tree growing in the area, and it wasn't natural. I say was because it's in the bed of my truck right now. Pat and I "falled" it the other day. It was a job alright. Pat climbed it DRT, rigged it, and I falled it against the lean....

Actually I just cut it straight through with the 200T and pushed it over. It was a "security" issue because it was right up against our base's fence, so they asked us to take it down.

One tip for you guys though, don't ever let TreeBarber negotiate your bids....:hmm3grin2orange:

That's TreeBarber himself in the pic.

How cold are the winters?

Norfolk Island pines would handle the salt and sand, but they dont like frost and ice.

Cheers

Ian

fishhuntcutwood said:
One tip for you guys though, don't ever let TreeBarber negotiate your bids....:hmm3grin2orange:

That's TreeBarber himself in the pic.

'PB&J Tree Trimming and Removal' is a very versatile and diverse business. And like you said, government contractors looks good in our portfolio!

crane

20 min to cut down that tree on the fence line...what did you call in a crane set it up then run it threw a mower chipper then rake the chips into a trash bag and bring it to curb....... but honest best thing to do if find the best native tree for the soil/temps...cant beat what mother nature does

sloth9669 said:
20 min to cut down that tree on the fence line...what did you call in a crane set it up then run it threw a mower chipper then rake the chips into a trash bag and bring it to curb....

Read it again-20 minutes to fall and clean it. That's showing up, putting it down, dragging limbs and wiping the saw off before putting it back in the truck.

jrizman thanks for the link.

I am also looking at planting some shrubs and grasses as well.
As far as what grows naturally on the spit there is none. All the trees that are currently there were planted. They are mostly shore pine and another type of pine that I am unfamiliar with (smaller needles). There is a similar spit about ten miles to the east, Dungeness Spit and there are no trees growing on it, nothing has been planted because it is part of a wildlife sanctuary.
Thanks again for the info.

that was my easy way out answer! i dont know what spp grow in that area, but id stick with native pines, spruce, or firs, i dont know what really grows up there as ive never even been to that area :(

the shrubs and grasses should be easy to find. anything that tolerates salt, sagebrush, etc. whatever is more native to that are would be good!
good luck!

White or Black Spruce? Here in Maine we get tons of white spruce growing on or near the seashore. Totally opposite coast, but these seem to tolerate extreme condtions, may not always look so great after time, but still tolerate extreme weather. Maybe not whites, but whatever is native there for spruces or firs. Deciduous material may work as well, Red oaks (Quercus rubra) quaking aspen also grow well near seashore. I would stay away from aspen due to their breakage problems. Best bet consult a local cooperative extension.

Back