Tried 17 inch rims and tires today!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds about right.

By getting smaller diameter tires, you've basically changed your gear ratio. If you could get smaller diameter tires for your 20" wheels, you could accomplish the same thing you did with 17" wheels.
There really aren't to many tires available for the 20" wheels. Shorter 20" wheels would really ride like....well you know. ;)

It doesn't matter now anyway's. I'm not going to buy the truck when the lease is up so I'm not going to put 17" wheels and tires on it. Just drive it until it's time to turn it in.

I wonder what the difference in weight was. It's all about less rotational mass. You will notice dramatically better mileage and way less wear and tear on your trans, suspention, if you make the switch.

That sounds about right.

By getting smaller diameter tires, you've basically changed your gear ratio. If you could get smaller diameter tires for your 20" wheels, you could accomplish the same thing you did with 17" wheels.

he also changed the rolling mass.. the 20 inch wheels are a good bit heavier than the 17s..

I wonder what the difference in weight was. It's all about less rotational mass. You will notice dramatically better mileage and way less wear and tear on your trans, suspention, if you make the switch.

It's much more about leverage. There is much more leverage against your drive train with a large diameter tire than a small diameter tire. In simplistic terms, think of a 17" diamater tire as an 8 1/2" long breaker bar and a 20" diameter tire as a 10" long breaker bar. That's essentially the same difference, as that's the distance between the ground and the center of your drive axle.

Latest posts

Back