Trout from the pond today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
16.5", 2.25# Tonight's dinner. About 20-30 minutes from pond to pan.

Fillet leaving skin on, then fry/poach in the following:

1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp lemon juice
½ cup white wine vinegar
2 tbsp local honey

Mix lemon juice, vinegar and honey in a container so that it is homogenized.
Melt butter in pan, get it sizzling, place trout fillets skin side down. Cook on relatively high heat (just under what it takes to brown the butter) for a minute, flip. Cook for another minute. Flip back over so the skin side is down. Brush vinegar mixture over the fillets or pour the whole mixture over the fish, cook on high heat (covered) for 4 minutes. Flip over, cook (covered) for another 4 minutes. Remove and serve. Salt and pepper to taste.

I poured the mixture over the fish, it was easier than trying to brush it over the fish. That way there's less spatter on the stove top.

It looks like they gained about 1/2 pound so far since stocked the middle of November. They should really start growing once the water temp hits the middle 40's. I stocked about 40 fish in the pond and I'm feeding Optimal Bass food at the rate of 40#/month. (Two throws, 5 seconds each per day from the Texas Hunter feeder.) Today I caught Hybrid Bluegill and Yellow Perch that were eating the pellets too. I cheated and used Stubby Steve's Original Pellet Lure to catch the two that I caught today. The first one was released.

Attachments

• 2-25 2.25 lb 16.5 inch Rainbow Trout.jpeg
    2-25 2.25 lb 16.5 inch Rainbow Trout.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 8
Sounds good. Do you bleed them out after catching? I haven't by heard it improves the flavor. Going to try it next month when I get home.
Since the pond is roughly 75 yds from the back door of the house, and I fillet them really quickly, you might say I bleed them after I catch them. LOL

By bleeding, I mean cut the artery in their throat while still alive so excess blood runs out. If you wait until they're dead, the blood coagulates and stays in the fish.
no, I haven't done that. I'll try it with the next one. I'll have a 5 gal bucket of pond water with me.

no, I haven't done that. I'll try it with the next one. I'll have a 5 gal bucket of pond water with me.
i have caught and cleaned hundreds if not thous of fish... never bled one. just gut, then head. and cook. never any issues, just tasty fish dinner! 👍

but there is plenty of info out there supporting the idea. prob good for larger fish

i have caught and cleaned hundreds if not thous of fish... never bled one. just gut, then head. and cook. never any issues, just tasty fish dinner! 👍

but there is plenty of info out there supporting the idea. prob good for larger fish
Same here, until I tried it. Much milder flavor after bleeding, fresh or saltwater fish.

Latest posts

Back