Trying out square filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
memory

memory

ArboristSite Guru
I am trying out square filing free hand for the first time. I have watched a few vids and read some threads about it. From what I have seen, people sharpen from outside in. Why is that? Can you sharpen from inside out? On the angles, are you supposed to hit the tie straps? Or do you just above the tie straps? I am using a double bevel save edge file. I tried taking a few pics but I have a hard time, not sure of it's my phone or me. This is a stihl rs full chisel chain, using this as a practice chain.

Attachments

• IMG_20210223_164918811.jpg
    IMG_20210223_164918811.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 50
Westboastfaller

Westboastfaller

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Looks like you are using a REGULAR tri file.
You should have no beak shown from the side plate profile. The side plate should be plumb, straight up and down.
Do yourself a favour and buy a proper pre ground chain or you are just wasting money on files and chain. Don't be impatient. You waited this long.
As far as that chain goes run it until it's dull then go back to round file. If your round file doesn't fit and you don't have a bigger one then just sharpen it with the raker file side of the double bevel file a few times to reduce hook/ beak and finish its life with the round file.

Sepia

Sepia

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Looks like you are using a REGULAR tri file.
You should have no beak shown from the side plate profile. The side plate should be plumb, straight up and down.
Do yourself a favour and buy a proper pre ground chain or you are just wasting money on files and chain. Don't be impatient. You waited this long.
As far as that chain goes run it until it's dull then go back to round file. If your round file doesn't fit and you don't have a bigger one then just sharpen it with the raker file side of the double bevel file a few times to reduce hook/ beak and finish its life with the round file.
Good to see you WBF! How are things across the pond?

Westboastfaller

Westboastfaller

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Good to see you WBF! How are things across the pond?
Hey Chis.
Long time.
It's been a heck of a year and one heck of a night.
Confusious say: A fool and his money will be separated.
Those are my words of wisdom..and they are not even my words...lol.
All & all, things are pretty good. How's tricks?

Sepia

Sepia

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Well whatever you were up to last night, I hope you took the proper safety precautions lol. You managed to survive the left coast all those years...
Things are quiet here... looking forward to Spring and getting back north again. Been working on lots of saws in the garage to pass the time. Sellin a few, keeping too many haha.

JayPopple

JayPopple

ArboristSite Lurker
I am trying out square filing free hand for the first time. I have watched a few vids and read some threads about it. From what I have seen, people sharpen from outside in. Why is that? Can you sharpen from inside out? On the angles, are you supposed to hit the tie straps? Or do you just above the tie straps? I am using a double bevel save edge file. I tried taking a few pics but I have a hard time, not sure of it's my phone or me. This is a stihl rs full chisel chain, using this as a practice chain.
I too have watched the videos on square filing. To me it looks like the file just touches the side bar of the chain to get the preferred angle. But I have never done that procedure.

Latest posts