Tulip Tree Madness....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgullick

Reaction score
I have a large Tulip tree in my backyard. It gets hot here (we usually have a week of 110+ every summer) so the shade is greatly appreciated but.... I'd like to stop it from flowering. The flowers are great and all but, when they die, they drop a trememdous amount of seed pods. These things are impossible to sweep up, can't be hosed off of walkways worth a darn, stick between decking boards and are horrible to get out, and clog rain gutters which require removal of the things by hand. You can't hose them out because they just compact up. The seed pods have a sharp hook on the end which makes them a real pain to deal with as well.

Is there a systemic product or a spray (systemic would be vastly preferred due to the large size of the tree) that I can use to stop the tree from flowering? I don't want to harm the tree - just stop the horrible mess it creates for myself and my neighbors each year.

rebelman said:
Get gutter guards. Don't stress it so much. Is it really that horrible?

Yep, it's THAT bad. I have standard gutter guards and can't afford the $3,000 variety that would work. I also don't have any kind of way to keep the things out of the decking cracks and it's a major job to clear it out.

I really am looking for something to keep the thing from flowering. It doesn't seem all that unlikely that there could be a product out there that would accomplish what I want.

mgullick said:
It doesn't seem all that unlikely that there could be a product out there that would accomplish what I want.
It's not so amazing that plants will procreate no matter what.
Your faith in better living through chemistry is noteworthy, but no, there isn't that I know of. search florel or snipper; experimenting with them may pay off for you. Please let us know if they do.

Are you talking about Liriodendron tulipifera? The litter is not such an issue here, and we have jillions of em.

I'll switch with ya. Mine is dropping limbs and unfortunatly is coming down soon. It's a real shame too becuase they do give nice shade.

just burn it down and then pave your yard, itll work out nicely for you!

comon dude, get a leaf blower and deal with a few seeds. are you sure you are talking about a yellow-poplar (liri. tuip.)? they usually dont make that much of a mess, more with the leaves that fall for winter in my opinion... If you like the shade, then take it as a trade off.

if the tree is prolifically seeding and sprouting you may wanna look into having an arborist take a look to ensure the health of the tree as those may be symptoms of decline.

Brush Hog said:
I'll switch with ya. Mine is dropping limbs and unfortunatly is coming down soon. It's a real shame too becuase they do give nice shade.
Why not just prune it? :chainsaw:

I planted 3 today to shade my stable and driveway. Barerooted them all, 10-15' tall. A great shade tree. Flowers are great mulch.

Have you contacted florel and snipper vendors?

Latest posts

Back