Twin towers from statue of liberty

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome, I used to ride my bike down to Liberty State Park and catch a glimpse at her backside. Great pic too, peak 80’s safety… hard hat with no goggles or chaps haha What department or company were you working for?

R.t. Davies from point pleasant beach. Originally from moorestown. Roland davies started his tree service in 1947 and is one of the first certified tree experts in New Jersey. A great man and teacher of tree care.

Really great pic with the twin towers in the background! My dad never wore chaps or hard hats. He died in 2000 of a heart attack at the age of 72. During my years as a kid from a young age to being a teenager we would go to the woods every fall and work up 12 cord of wood to burn through the winter for the house. We would also work up another 12 cord to burn for making maple syrup at the sugar house which would be burned up within 1.5 months. We split everything by hand and I was the guy that did a major portion of the splitting with splitting maul and wedges. We burned mostly oak with some maple for the home. With the sugar house it was everything and anything. We needed a hot fire to boil sap into syrup. Those were the days.

My dad worked cutting lumber with a crosscut saw from the time he was a youth with his grandfather and when he was 17 he ran a steam boiler which ran the saw for cutting lumber. They would bring the steam mill right into the forest that they would be cutting from and would be skidding everything with oxen and horses. He could tell the stories. One year after chainsaws came into being he took care of all the chain saws to keep the chains sharp and the saws running. We are talking the old Homelite's and McCulloch's. They did not wear saftey equipment and he never did all his days. He knew how to drop trees and could do some amazing things and he always operated safely in the woods. He alwasy reminded me to look up before cutting and tree. He always had a great respect for a chain saw and did not let me run one for many years. He had seen some pretty major injuries. One guy had well over 100 stitches after being cut with a saw up his leg. He had seen chains come off of saws and stick right into trees. Again he could tell stories.

Latest posts

Back