Vermeer SC252 Stump Grinder Re-power

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcutterz LLC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The 25hp Kohler Command engine on my SC252 is getting tired. I think it's got about 1700 hours, burning oil in one cylinder - have to replace fouled spark plug once in awhile. I'm debating on whether to fix it or replace it. I think Vermeer put a 27hp on some of these. I wouldn't mind a little more power. Any ideas as to some good options? I thought about a diesel - probably pricey and too much weight up high. I'm open for suggestions.

I put a 27 HP Kohler on

On my Rayco 1625 Super Jr. I do not see a big difference. Try and get a 30 HP, it will be a direct bolt on. Your bearings and shafts should take the higher HP better than a 35 HP.

I got my engine on line, it was $1900 shipped to my garage door. Let my know if you need a supplier, I can dig out who I got my engine from.

Good Luck!

Bob

New engine is the way to go. 1700 hours is really all you can get out of the Kohler. Upgrade to the 35 hp Briggs if you feel like taking on a little bit of a project otherwise just order another Kohler and bolt it on. There are a couple threads here regarding upgrading to the Briggs,
check them out.

I had 4300 hours on my Kohler 25hp, no issues, so they can go quite a while. But since I swapped in a 35hp Briggs it's a whole new ballgame, for a 252 anyway. Got about 1400 hrs on it since beginning of 2011, no real issues, a leaking gasket covered on warranty. It's not too much work to do the changeout. If you can do it the engine price is probably not more than $500 over the 27hp.

Stumper63

Back