Vertical speedline

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Dunlap

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I almost posted this on the New Rope/BS thread. Instead of globbing up that thread, I'll give this new life.

A setup that works nice for excurrent, single-sem trees, IE conifers, is to use a vertical speedline.

Set a high rope using the throwline. It helps to isolate the line down through the branches, close to the trunk, but this isn't always necessary. Anchor the end of the rope to the base of the tree or another anchor. Take the working end of the rope and run it through a redirect pulley and setup the friction device away from the base of the rigged tree. The climber starts up the tree with a bandolier full of slings and biners. As the limbs are to be removed, a sling is attached and they're sent down the line. In this simplest setup, each limb comes down with the butt close to the tree. No worries about the branches hitting first and the branch pole-vaulting through a window, DAMHIKT!

The next variation is to do multiples. Set the sling chokers in such an order that several limbs are cut in one motion. As the limbs are cut, they slide down to stack against the last limb. The last limb cut doesn't alwasy have to be the lowest either. By using a variety of lengths the blossom or bouquet of limbs can be bundled neatly.

When the blossom gets to the ground, the groundie can give the speedline some slack to let the tips rotate. Or, by holding tight, they end up close to the trunk. When the blossom is on the ground we slip a choker rope around the butts, take off the chokers and grab the whole bundle with the quad and off to the chipper.

If the climber has enough slings they can get the next blossom setup while the groundies are clearing up the first.
When the slings are cleared they get racked and sent up to the climber on the tail of their rope. The rhythm of this setup can make the tree move out like its on a conveyor belt.

Most of our conifer takedowns are blue spruce planted close to houses, generally on corners or between houses. Sending blossoms laterally with a trad speedline isn't always possible.

Tom

i 've done some of that, and a variant.

Lower load to ground, but not all the way flat down, keep line tense. Use what was load as anchor for speed line. Not the usual loads of speedlining, just possibly bending the path slightly if hitch point to "was load, now anchor" was lowered to angle line.

i sling and carabiner about all loads lowered. When lowering a 'bouquet' of slinged limbs, we sometimes keep 3 groups of slings going rather than 2. Ground control/ pit crew taking off this runs of slings as climber is pulling line up with the previous runs slings, with the next run's slings already in place. Presetting the slings when you have enough while ground control is busy, not only is more efficient, but gives more time to consider the placement of the hitch points on the limbs, before and after you do! Then also more evalusation time on where cut goes from that too!

Orrrrrrrr something like that!
:alien:

Latest posts

Back