Very large tree planted in above ground box

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsjones

Reaction score
How detrimental is it to the health of a tree if it was planted in an enclosed box above ground. I believe the tree root actually initiates above the solid ground level.

Need some more info on this to get some answers, some pictures would definitly help, also what species, size of box ect.

Tree in a box

Hello, thank you for your reply.
The tree is a Deadore Cedar that was planted more than 80 years ago. It was originally planted in a"designer" brick box about 8 feet on a side and 2.5 to 3 feet high. The surface area has always been covered with pavers and concrete. My concern is that the roots are causing some foundation problems and an arborist suggested cutting the roots along the foundation and placing a barrier, with every couple of years digging down to cut the roots away. It was also suggested to cut the roots around the sewer pipe that runs 90 degrees to the foundation. We would be cutting roots on two adjacent sides of the tree. There are many large roots near the surface suggesting to me that if we cut the roots on two sides as suggested, the tree may become structurally unsound and become very unstable and could topple in a high wind. I attached some pictures and you can see it is a beautiful tree.
Thanks.

We need like an overall aerial picture with tree size and distances etc to cuts.

Any chance you can get on the roof and take a shot?

Also a distance shot showing the size of the tree.

Mark out the direction of usual winds and storms.

Rather than just cut roots and insert a barrier (for house) it might be wise to get an air knife and blow away the soil to see what ya got ... you'll then see how big the roots are and what they're up to withou severing them.

Personally, I think the trees done well looking at that B&W photo, not exactly the ideal way to grow a tree.

dsjones said:
My concern is that the roots are causing some foundation problems and an arborist suggested cutting the roots along the foundation and placing a barrier, with every couple of years digging down to cut the roots away. It was also suggested to cut the roots around the sewer pipe
Is the foundation cracking? I just root-pruned a 5' dbj white oak 8' from a house that was showing some foundation issues. Dug down to the bettom of the foundation; all I fuund was a 3" root so I cut it.

re the sewer pipe, is there a problem or do you just fear one in the future? YOu are right aobut concern over tree structure if you do wholesale cutting on 2 sides, or even one side. Root pruning a tree that size needs to be surgical.

Yes more p=ictures would help, and drawings/measurements.

dsjones said:
My concern is that the roots are causing some foundation problems and an arborist suggested cutting the roots along the foundation and placing a barrier, with every couple of years digging down to cut the roots away. It was also suggested to cut the roots around the sewer pipe
Is the foundation cracking? I just root-pruned a 5' dbh white oak 8' from a house that was showing some foundation issues. Dug down to the bettom of the foundation; all I found was a 3" root so I cut it.

re the sewer pipe, is there a problem or do you just fear one in the future? YOu are right aobut concern over tree structure if you do wholesale cutting on 2 sides, or even one side. Root pruning a tree that size needs to be surgical.

Yes more pictures would help, and drawings/measurements.

Trees have buttress roots, that grow from the tree and radiate outward in all directions. These roots taper in size quickly for a distance of about 5 times the diameter of the tree at breast height (DBH). In this "zone of rapid taper", roots are bigger in diameter because of reactive growth initiated by tree movement. In simpler terms, they're strong because they hold up the tree.
When cutting roots within this "5 X DBH" one must be very cautious for two reasons. First, these roots hold up the tree, secondly, they are susceptible to decay, if injured. The base of a tree, and the roots that hold it up, are very dangerous places to have any decay.
Normally, when buttress roots need to be cut, my first recommendation is removal.
Even without cutting, you need to, again, consider the 5 x DBH. If the roots are growing up against a foundation, then turning sideways, their ability to support the tree is at it's limit for supporting the tree in that direction. It's entirely possible the tree has outgrown its space and needs to be removed, or possibly have some reduction work done.

If roots are a problem for the sewer pipe, there's only one possibility, a defect in the sewer pipe. Roots can't penetrate a sound pipe, but if there's a crack, they can work their way in and cause problems.
Repairing the pipe will mean digging, so again, it's the 5 X DBH.

You need to consider how valuable the tree is to you. If you are prepared to spend some money, a consulting arborist should be brought in. He might typically charge about $350 to assess the tree.
Bringing in a credentialed arborist will not only insure the advice you get is sound, it reduces any liability you might face should the tree fall and cause damage, injury, or (God forbid) death.

The tree in the box

I would like to thank everybody for your replys. I am talking to another local arborist to determin if the roots can be safely cut. The tree is considered a heritage tree and I don't want to cut it down if I don't have to. There are several roots that I exposed going directly under the foundation and causing it to crack. The roots appear to be 3 to 5 inches in diameter at the point where they go under the foundation. I'm also concerned that if I cut the roots and put in a barrier, I may undermine the hardpack and the foundation. It's quiet a delima and I want to make the right decision about how to proceed.
Thanks again
DAN

dsjones said:
There are several roots that I exposed going directly under the foundation and causing it to crack. The roots appear to be 3 to 5 inches in diameter at the point where they go under the foundation. I'm also concerned that if I cut the roots and put in a barrier, I may undermine the hardpack and the foundation. It's quiet a delima and I want to make the right decision about how to proceed.
Thanks again
DAN

Good work.

Also, once the roots are cut they'll be deadwood under the slab attracting termites. Not uncommon here.

In a take down situation here what i do is have a pest controller inject the tree full of chemicals 1 week prior to TD so roots are loaded as bait to kill termites.

In a root pruning exercise like yours the pest controller says upon cutting the root they inject them and the chemical travels along the root.

Think about the termites, under a house slab is not a good place for them.

Latest posts

Back