Very Sick Sugar Maple Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dianew0228

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I found this site by googling for information regarding maple trees. My elderly neighbor has a 42 year old sugar maple in her yard. This tree is extremely tall and has a huge trunk which splits into two separate trunks about 15 feet from the ground. It has about a 250' diameter canopy at the top of the tree.

Three days ago the tree starting leaking sap profusely from 4 separate areas on the north side of the tree. It is flowing out so fast that it is fizzing and you can stand 4 feet from the tree and hear it. It is running down the trunk and forming puddles at the base of the tree. The first area is at the base of the tree. There is a tiny but long crack and the sap is leaking out. There is a second longer crack about 6 feet up from the first. There is a little "chink hole" in the tree a few feet above that and then another place about 15 feet up the trunk where it is also leaking profusely and running down the tree.

The bark on the side of the tree where this is occurring is peeling and curling up. It looks like it is scaling, kind of looks like cedar siding shakes, definitely not maple tree bark. Standing close the tree you can hear slight crackling sounds and muffled popping sounds.

I am extremely nervous that something really bad is going on with this tree. It is located very close to my elderly neighbors older mobile home and if it falls it will crush her house and probably mine. The tree is VERY tall. She is on a fixed income and can't afford to hire someone to come look at it and neither can I.

If anyone can tell me what might be happening and whether or not this tree is posing any danger to my neighbor or myself I would so greatly appreciate it. I have a bad feeling about this tree.

Some things I forgot to mention. We have had an extreme amount of rain this year, record rainfalls for most of the Spring and Summer, but no flooding in the spot where this tree stands. It has been much drier for the past several weeks but extremely hot and humid. The tree is on the top of a very large hill and we are about 450 ft. above the riverbed. The canopy of the tree still appears to be healthy at the moment. It had an overabundance of seeds this year.

Anxiously waiting for someone's response and again I thank you in advance.

Diane

You need a good arborist on site. Many arborist give free estimates, just call around.
I understand what you really want is a consultation, but if you inquire with the idea that you don't really know what is going on and there will need to be some kind of work done, they should come meet you for free.
If I was in your area, I'd come just to see what you are describing.

Thank you for your reply Mike. I just got done speaking to the Forestry Division of our state. I described the problem to the arborist and she seems to think the tree may have been damaged by lightning. We have had some pretty violent storms this past month. She gave me a list of certified arborists who can evalute the tree for free and she suggested that it be done immediately since it's losing an incredible amount of sap daily and could pose a danger if not taken down. We really hate to lose the tree, it's an incredible shade tree, but.....we don't want our houses to be crushed either if it falls!

The tree is also located on land owned by a mobile home park and we own our homes but rent our lots so it actually would be the landlord's obligation to pay for the removal of the tree if that becomes necessary. If that tree comes down it would wipe out at least three homes so it's a serious situation. A call has been put in to the landowners alerting them of the problem this morning. Hopefully we can get someone out to look at the tree soon.

Thanks again and wish us luck!

Diane

Unfortunately no. I'll say one thing though, the bees, butterflies and humming birds are definitely loving the sweet sap coming out of that tree. The butterflies are EVERYWHERE! The landowner has a certified arborist coming to make an evaluation of the tree later today and let us know whether it can be saved or will need to come down. I hope we can save it, it's really a beautiful tree.

Diane

Here's a thread on an article written about this; I like it, and not only cuz i wrote it.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=16663&highlight=ooze+news

the state forester is likely wrong about lightning--that does not match the symptoms. Also bear in mind that any arborist giving an opinion who can also give a removal estimate will have bias.

Flush away the ooze, and don't worry about rot or bugs connected with it.

Post a picture for goodness' sake; it's free!

O and if this big tree is so scary that you are claiming it has a 250' spread (no such sugar maple), it's hard to believe that the 3 homes nearby cannot pool their pennies and pay for a qualified opinion that is independent too. Please calm down. the tree has stood this long, right?

Thanks for the reply Treeseer. The article is definitely very interesting and I suppose that could be the problem. But I will defnitely see what the arborist has to say. Given the severity and frequency of thunderstorms we have experienced here lately, I also think lightning might be a possibility. But I did print out the article for reference and will definitely ask the guy about this possiblity when he is here.

I am "guesstimating" as to the size of the top of the tree. I didn't actually go up there and measure it. I know that two people can't put thier arms around the trunk and touch hands, maybe three could, almost. The trunk is large and the tree is very tall and branches out at the top and the canopy covers most of the yard.

As far as putting our pennies together, we would love to be able to do that but that is not going to be possible. I am a single mother working my butt off to support my kids and the pennies hardly stretch far enough as it is and I don't get or want any help from anybody, the elderly neighbor is just that, an elderly widow who lives on her meager social security income. She has to budget every penny she gets and the other house has a disabled elderly gentlemen living there. We do the best we can. Anyway, thanks for the article, I will definitely be asking the arborist questions armed with a little more information.

Diane

Mike Maas said:
Lightening damaged tree removal is sometimes covered by homeowner's insurance. Bacterial ooze is not. I think it's lightening damage.:popcorn:
then again, lightning is sometimes fatal right away and bacterial infection never is. Also, many ins cos will pay out the value of the tree if hit by lightning fatally, while they would never pay a peny for ooze.

another bottom line her eis to search the archives here first; save a lot of time and troule and miss less too.

nice weather :blob2: up here in mn mike; missed you this year.

good luck diane. i hope the tree owner does the right thing with the tree. let us know how the report looks.

Thanks Treeseer. Good news! The guy who came to look at the tree yesterday believes that it is the infection you spoke of and not a lightning strike. The best news is that it is in the very early stage and the tree can be treated and will heal. He said that most of the time when he sees this problem it's too late because people wait too long to call, but we caught it very early. I'm so glad because it is a gorgeous shade tree. He is coming back with recommendations on what we should do to help the tree.

The guy actually climbed the tree! He went about thirty feet up checking it out. The guy was a real monkey I tell ya!

Anyway, thanks all for your input and I'm just glad everything is going to be okay. I love that tree!

Diane

Great news, Diane! And good on the arborist to do the aerial inspection.:bowdown:

It would be great if he could post before-and-after pictures here. We/I'd be happy to offer input on the process if he so desires. Mainly I'd like to see pics because I'll be writing a followup article sometime soon, and I'd love to include his work on that tree. Tell him I'll even pay him $5 for good pics.

I'm in the area and I have a digital camera. Let me know where the tree is and I'll get some pics.

Back