Vise tilt on an Oregon 511A

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just seem to be having a real mental block on figuring out if when cutting the left hand cutters, you push the vise away from you or pull it toward you to get the 10 degree angle and of course the opposite for the right hand ones. Does it really make that much difference to use the tilt?

I have a collection of Stihl, Oregon and Woodland Pro chain. Can the same angles be used for all of them?

The operators manual says tilt vise inward for left hand cutters and outward for right hand cutters. I've got the same model and have used the tilt but I really can't see any benefit as far as the chain cutting faster or staying sharper longer. I've even sharpened some for some guys using the tilt and 0 degrees and they say they can't tell if there's any difference either so I just leave mine at 0 degrees. David.

Thanks. What confuses me is the terms inward and outward. If you push it away from you, your now lined up with the outward mark but is that still inward?

Maybe I'll just leave it at 0. :msp_scared:

Inwards as in tilt it away from you with the top and pull the bottom knob towards you, for the left hand cutters and of course the opposite for the right. Once you have it set up for the appropriate cutter you will see the geometry comming into play. Each chain has its own sharpening characteristics, and the vise tilt is not used on some chains.

Most chisels at 25 and 10 on the tilt. Most semis 30 and no tilt. Course that changes a little at the very end of the cutter, for me anyways, but only about 1-2 times with the file.

Latest posts

Back