Water to air heat exchanger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maytagman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing my system. Does it matter if you put the supply water in the top or bottom port on the water to air exchanger in the furnace plenum?

Water to Air

I have two water to air exchangers. Both are mounted horizontal, in a box, with a blower behind. i was instructed to hook up hot or incoming water to the higher inlet. I have no idea if it makes any difference, but mine works great.

Robby:)

I have two water to air exchangers. Both are mounted horizontal, in a box, with a blower behind. i was instructed to hook up hot or incoming water to the higher inlet. I have no idea if it makes any difference, but mine works great.

Robby:)

Im pretty sure this is correct.If you go the other way,you can have ghost flow with the circulator off from natural convection .

not really all that important but may also depend on setup.

one pump one exchanger no problem!!

one pump 4 exchangers and a little thing happens where the water will flow faster to the exchanger that has the best flow!!:dizzy:

so sytem setup is important when running more than one thing like air exchanger sidearm plate ect.

the old simple sytem of sidearm then furnace exchanger in series works best but add some floor heat some baseboard and a hot tub and you may ned to add a pump or 2.

I say go hot on bottom as heat rises and that may help flow.

You can still have ghost flow, even if the coil is connected correctly. If you hook up the coil in series with all water from the boiler going thru it, without at least a 3-way zone valve to bypass it when there is no call for heat you will have it. I have mine piped primary/secondary, with a separate circ. to feed the coil loop, but no flow control valve/check valve and I get it.

Just last week this question was asked and the answer was inlet at the bottom and the outlet at the top.

That is the way to push the air out of the system.

Also the reason you put the air bleeder in the highest part of your system.

Back