Weekend milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice! I like your little milling area to!
Why are you using guides when milling your second cut? Isn't it pointless since the surface is already flat?

Very nice! I like your little milling area to!
Why are you using guides when milling your second cut? Isn't it pointless since the surface is already flat?

That milled surface is never as smooth or as flat as the guide. Also, guide helps when you enter and exit the log on something as huge as that.

Thanks, entering and exiting makes sense but I still want to think if you cut the top off with the guides on it would create a smooth cut right?
So then the next cut should be set up perfectly for the next cut. Although I can see how some wood imperfections like splits on the sides and cause the sawyer to apply more pressure on one side.

Thanks, entering and exiting makes sense but I still want to think if you cut the top off with the guides on it would create a smooth cut right?
So then the next cut should be set up perfectly for the next cut. Although I can see how some wood imperfections like splits on the sides and cause the sawyer to apply more pressure on one side.

Not every cut will be perfect no matter what precautions you take. Using the guides every time prevents one imperfection form being copied into every cant below it. It takes just a few seconds to set them up and it's worth the time spent.

Another reason is there is less friction between the mill and rails compared to the mill and wood. Every bit helps when milling something this size.

Latest posts

Back