weird chain or junk chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modn

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My father brought down a few chains that came with his saw (used Husky 61 or 62 can't remember) to be touched up on my grinder. Some/most were filed by a person that had no right to be filing by hand, but I managed to get them a lot better and all but one cut extremely well. One chain in particular had a 15 degree angle which seemed to me to be a ripping chain, at least that is my thought, but I sharpened it anyway as I wanted to see how it would perform (3/8" chain). The biggest problem with the chain is the rakers on one whole side were ground extremely low while the other side was within spec which I told my father about as it seemed to me it would grab very hard. Needless to say it grabbed very hard as suspected. Hence my question: is there a reason they are ground so low on one side and not the other or did someone really screw up? I've never seen a chain like it, but then again I've never ground a "ripping chain".:confused:

They either screwed up or like to cut in circles.ripping chain is 10 & 15 DEG...

That is what I was thinking, but wanted more of an expert opinion as I've never seen someone screw up a chain that bad and thought maybe I was missing something!! I guess the guy was doing himself a favor by selling the saw with the chains!!:cheers: Thanks

I have had customers bring chains into my shop saying i tryed to sharpen it myself but all it does is buck and jump,they think the way to sharpen a chain is file the guides down to the links..some people should not own a saw........

I have had customers bring chains into my shop saying i tryed to sharpen it myself but all it does is buck and jump,they think the way to sharpen a chain is file the guides down to the links..some people should not own a saw........

Granted I'm not a professional but have been cutting for 30+ years (home heating), you would think people buying a saw would know a little bit, or would want to learn a little bit!!

Well...I'm doing a lot better hand filing now since I've been coming to the site...Me thinks a "Sharpening 101" sticky would be really cool, with pics/video.

Back