welding a clutch shoe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Has anyone welded a broken clutch shoe? What type of metal is used to make clutch shoes,its from a Pioneer Partner 500? The back is broken out where the coil spring pushes against it. Pioneerguy600

thought most of the later year ones were made of sintered metal----they put powdered iron in a mold--and press it in, and heat it at the same time--like pmr rods in a car engine--

Well went out to the shop this evening and made up a replacement piece for the clutch shoe and after a careful fit up welded it in place. It welded good and just a little touch up grinding then a little file work it fit as good as new. Filled up the gas and oil tank and went out and ran the tank through,works like a charm,another first for me welding a clutch shoe that seems to be made of sintered iron.
Pioneerguy600

How did you weld it and what was your filler?

I made the piece up from tool steel ,actually a cutter bit blank for the lathe and ground it to size and shape ,then mig welded it with 023 gauge wire+co2 and it seems to be really solid.Its back in the saw and will be run for the next couple of days as the owner is cutting up his winters wood with it.
Pioneerguy600

Got to watch with the sintered metal, you can put a good weld in, and have it weaken the surrounding metal so much it will nearly crumble if stressed at all. How ever, I have managed to get a decent weld on some stuff like that with good pre heating and post treatment, as well I cut a deep V and filled it in with a few light passes with some cooling timebetween, rather than put a whole lot of heat into a once with the amps cranked up.

Did you give it a good banging arround before putting it to work, would be better to have it fail, if it is going to, on the work bench rather than in the saw.

Got to watch with the sintered metal, you can put a good weld in, and have it weaken the surrounding metal so much it will nearly crumble if stressed at all. How ever, I have managed to get a decent weld on some stuff like that with good pre heating and post treatment, as well I cut a deep V and filled it in with a few light passes with some cooling timebetween, rather than put a whole lot of heat into a once with the amps cranked up.

Did you give it a good banging arround before putting it to work, would be better to have it fail, if it is going to, on the work bench rather than in the saw.

If it were to fail in the saw it would be no worse than when it was brought in to me to look at,The clutch shoes are completely contained inside the clutch drum with a cover washer over the open side facing away from the engine. The back of the shoe was broken out when I opened the clutch up and all it was causing before that was the chain ran at engagement speed during idle as the clutch spring was pushing one shoe out against the drum. The piece I welded in is the back of the shoe where the coil spring pushes the clutch shoe when it is not spinning.
Pioneerguy600

Right, just some saws with inboard design, a messed clutch can bust up the case.

Right, just some saws with inboard design, a messed clutch can bust up the case.

Yes duly noted,I probably would not run a welded in board type clutch. Where it was an outboard type and no replacement parts were closer than a couple weeks away and the owner wanted to use the saw I tried the repair and now has three full tanks of fuel run through it and working fine for now. Pioneerguy600

Has anyone welded a broken clutch shoe? What type of metal is used to make clutch shoes,its from a Pioneer Partner 500? The back is broken out where the coil spring pushes against it. Pioneerguy600

pioneer is there a way you can post a picture of that good shoe its possible i may have one

but need a picture to compare
calvin

Also have a line on a set of a 5000, right price, can put you in touch with the guy if you end up needing them pm me.

pioneer is there a way you can post a picture of that good shoe its possible i may have one

but need a picture to compare
calvin

Thanks for that offer Calvin, I have been away since last Friday when a big fire broke out a 1/2 mile behind my place and was pushed by a 50 mph wind for 7-8 miles in a couple of hours. We were forced to leave and I just got back home a couple of hours ago, alls fine for now. I will have to check up on the saw owner to see how he made out with the saw and the fire. Pioneerguy600

You should introduce him to this site, he will save that saw and get himself 4 or 5 more for that winter wood. :greenchainsaw:

Alittle CAD goes a long way :jawdrop:

I tried to loan him a real saw to cut his wood but he declined and said he would only want a newer saw if he used one of my modded saws and that would end up costing him more money so he is sticking with his old saw. I even offered him a MS 360 as a even trade for his PP 500 but he thought that saw was too powerful and he would probably cut himself,get severe kickback or just fall in love with it really and want more saws with greater power. LOL
Pioneerguy600

I checked up on the saw and its owner and he has cut up all 8 cord of wood and the clutch is holding up like it should, no issues at all.He says leave it as is and if it breaks again in the future he will get me to find another clutch for it then. This guy is a firm believer in the old addage of don`t fix it if its not broke and also believes that everything I have ever fixed for him has outlasted the usefulness of the machine.
Pioneerguy600

Good to hear that your your ok pioneer600 .
It was quite a show with all those waterbombers flying around and i can't say enough for all those guys on the ground .
Now back to topic , I guess i won't say you can't weld a clutch any more .

Good to hear that your your ok pioneer600 .
It was quite a show with all those waterbombers flying around and i can't say enough for all those guys on the ground .
Now back to topic , I guess i won't say you can't weld a clutch any more .

That was a large fire that spread quickly,I was a few feet from the fire moving the heavy equipment and fuel tanks back behind the fire. Curtis had to bring his feller buncher up through the fire and smoke as he was downwind when it broke out. I was back there from 2.30 til 6.30 when the RCMP took over control of the roads from us and we could leave.
The choppers were quite ineffective in the wind and the size of the fire too large for them. The water bombers are the only effective means to bring a fire that size under control.Too bad we don`t have one based in N.S. The smoke sure put up some large clouds and could be seen a hundred kilos out to sea. It sure came close to the homes around Candy Mountain,the lads had their hands full and we owe them BIG TIME for all their hard work.Also lucky the wind dropped on Sunday and did not change direction very much. Pioneerguy600

Back