What do y’all do when this happens to your bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MFV

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Been milling this weekend and I am not sure what happened but when I went to change my chain I saw this. What do y’all think?

Attachments

• IMG_3641.jpeg
    IMG_3641.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3642.jpeg
    IMG_3642.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3645.jpeg
    IMG_3645.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
You need to "dress the bar' - this means grinding the burrs or edges away.

To do this you can use a flat file (bar edges are hard so you will need a new file)
Out the bar in a vice and stand at one end of the bar place the file at right angles to the bar and grab the file with left and right hands and edges apull the file towards you in a smooth downward action.
It is really important to keep the file level and make sure the bar edges end up at accurate right angles to the bar flat - it not the saw will cut a curve.
A right angle is ensured using a dressing tool like this home made job which rides square on the bar edge..
dresser.jpg
If the bar gap is splayed the chain will rock over to one side and the gap should be brought back into a regular gap. Don't use a hammer or it will chip the edges - uses bar gap narrowing tool.
BRC1.jpg
Finished1.jpg

BTW I have put a large (9") grinding disc into a table saw and used the sides to grind off bar burs. This works really well because the bar can be laid flat on the table and the bar edges made to gently kiss the disc in a sweeping motion so as not to grind a "flat" section. Peace with and old bar.

To do this you can use a flat file (bar edges are hard so you will need a new file)
Out the bar in a vice and stand at one end of the bar place the file at right angles to the bar and grab the file with left and right hands and edges apull the file towards you in a smooth downward action.
It is really important to keep the file level and make sure the bar edges end up at accurate right angles to the bar flat - it not the saw will cut a curve.
A right angle is ensured using a dressing tool like this home made job which rides square on the bar edge..
View attachment 1082746
If the bar gap is splayed the chain will rock over to one side and the gap should be brought back into a regular gap. Don't use a hammer or it will chip the edges - uses bar gap narrowing tool.
View attachment 1082750
View attachment 1082751

BTW I have put a large (9") grinding disc into a table saw and used the sides to grind off bar burs. This works really well because the bar can be laid flat on the table and the bar edges made to gently kiss the disc in a sweeping motion so as not to grind a "flat" section. Peace with and old bar.

View attachment 1082746
View attachment 1082750
View attachment 1082751

Thanks I will start studying up on this. This is a good bar and cuts well I want to keep it that way.

How exactly do you do that?

I don't see very many asymmetric bars. Certainly not on any milling setups.
I’m not sure how I did it. Everything was working fine. Something must’ve got across Waze.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back