What does it REALLY cost

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't sell wood. I don't pay for wood. I don't usually have to drive more than 5 miles to get wood. It saves me on the natural gas. Haven't even turned on the furnace this year. House is 70-74 degrees depending on how hot I have the fire. Time spent is so enjoyable I can't even figure in costs. I already have the dump truck, tractor, skid loaders, etc through my business to use, so just a little extra gas/oil in costs. Having my 4 year old son run the lever on the splitter valve and help me stack wood is priceless. Doesn't last long before he gets distracted, but he is learning work ethic. Once again, Priceless. It is a great way to exert frustration, and it is productive. Saves me approximately $1600-1800 in heating costs annually. But the satisfaction, and stress relief is great. If I weren't doing it, I would be spending money. I would be doing another hobby. Everyone has a hobby whether it is hunting, golf, cars, motorcycles, etc, I think most everyone on this site has wood cutting as a hobby. Might not look at it that way, but it is their getaway. I feel the same. I still find time to hunt, fish, ride the motorcycles, but not as much as I would like to. It is easier to go out behind the barn and cut up some wood I dumped the week before. Cost per cord savings: Priceless to me.

Some very valid points have been brought to light in this thread. It's not always about saving money and I realized that more when I thought about the endless hours I have spent in the woods over my lifetime. It all started as a child exploring the tiny woods behind our home. When I say tiny, it didn't seem tiny to a young lad like me, it was a HUGE adventure. It then turned to making trails for the small Wheel Horse tractor my dad let me ride on for hours on end after school and weekends, making those trails seemed like engineering super highways to me. From there, it graduated to becoming involved in the local snowmobile club trimming trails and putting up trail markers. As I became an adult I purchased a woodlot with my best friend and we proceeded to make yet more roads, but this time on an even larger scale. I now have two woodlots and numerous trails and any time I like, I head out to make even more trails. You guys are right, time in the woods........priceless.

Last edited:
Some of you guys aren't being completely honest or you aren't adding up ALL the costs associated with burning wood. I cringe thinking of all the money I've spent on wood heating/producing related equipment. The stove, dump trailer, splitter, all the saws, chain grinders, winch, related tools, wear and tear, depreciation, my time, etc... if you add up everything, heating with wood has cost me a lot more than I've saved recently!

On that note, I just converted from oil to natural gas (thanks to the oil spike this summer). I went online to see what my latest NG rates are and then ran the numbers to see what it would cost me to heat my house and DHW for the year based on my historical oil usage. Let's just say it's silly for me to even light a fire this year (wood, coal, or pellet) given how low our NG price is. If prices remained as they are today, which I know they wont, the payback on all my wood related equipment would probably take about 20+ years. It hardly makes all the back breaking work worthwhile... But I'll continue to do it because I enjoy it. Someday NG prices will go up, and when they do, I'll still have a smile on my face either way.

Some of you guys aren't being completely honest or you aren't adding up ALL the costs associated with burning wood. I cringe thinking of all the money I've spent on wood heating/producing related equipment. The stove, dump trailer, splitter, all the saws, chain grinders, winch, related tools, wear and tear, depreciation, my time, etc... if you add up everything, heating with wood has cost me a lot more than I've saved

I definately don't add in my time. Not because I enjoy cutting, (which I do), but simply because "What else are ya doing on a Sunday afternoon?"

As many have stated here if I wasn't cutting I'd be doin something else that probably would have NO chance of a financial return. Hunting for instance or flying my RC airplanes.

Even if I didn't like cutting wood I would still do it simply due to the savings.

Until the day comes that I've made my million and don't like cutting anymore I'll keep cutting.:cheers:

Some of you guys aren't being completely honest or you aren't adding up ALL the costs associated with burning wood. I cringe thinking of all the money I've spent on wood heating/producing related equipment. The stove, dump trailer, splitter, all the saws, chain grinders, winch, related tools, wear and tear, depreciation, my time, etc... if you add up everything, heating with wood has cost me a lot more than I've saved recently!

I'm sure many people don't see the need to buy a dump trailer, hydraulic splitter, chain grinder, winch, etc. Personally, I have a truck, tractors, trailers and saws that I expense off to other ventures. I also charge off all the chains, fuel, oil, maintenance, repairs and depreciation. The little bit of time spent using these things on firewood is unimportant. Just disappears through the cracks.

I also only haul the wood a distance of yards, not miles and my stove was bought and paid for many years ago, before we even moved into the house. I've owned my chimney brush and my splitting tools for around 25 years and buy new hickory handles every decade or so. The labor is nothing to me. I just stop lifting weights when I do my firewood and call it a good workout.

My expenses for burning wood are literally non-existent compared to the cost of power to run a heat pump. I don't actually know how much I save because I've never used it for heat. Many people around here (who don't have my options and insulation) spend tons of money on electricity if they want to keep their houses nice and toasty warm.

Of course, I have it a lot easier than you northerners. I only have to invest less than a day and a half to cut, haul, split and stack enough firewood to last a year :clap:

Guy's,
I wasn't saying it's not worth it to cut wood. I was simply saying if you're selling it make sure to get enough for your efforts to pay for your equipment, repairs, maintenance, and a decent wage for the work involved.
I sell mainly Pine (that's about all we've got around here) for $150.00 a full cord, then I charge a profitable fee for delivery. Work is pretty seasonal around here, & I know guy's who sell for $100.00 a cord delivered. They sell wood untill something breaks, and then they are out of business untill they go back to work at their seasonal jobs in the spring.
If you're selling wood, shouldn't your customers pay for your maintenance? If you're making $10 or $12 an hour selling wood, and you blow a $150 tire, then a few days later you have to replace a bar, or something else you're not really making much.

Andy

The real cost to me is...............SANITY, for the colder months.

I work with the public and I am in automotive........you tell me this crap is easy..lol

I've truly enjoyed all the responses to this thread. What I thought would be just a penny for penny calculation turned out to be that plus more. The enjoyment of the time in the woods by most of you reflects my thoughts as well.
It's a savings... It's relaxing... It's fun... It's family time... It's personal time... It's a work out... etc etc etc....

For me it's all of the above. I've been burnin in the garage for years but the whole house boiler is but a year old. My wife (Monica) and youngest daughter (Val) help out in the woods loading. Unloading at home. Splitting.
Now Valerie has bought a farmhouse just down the road and she and soon to be husband (Nick), burn wood to heat there house in an "Ashley" add on that we set up. She bought him a new Husky 445 for his B-day so now we all cut together.
We load up the dogs and head for the woods. Sometimes we get a couple loads per house, and sometimes we all set on the tailgate or stumps and toss down a few cold ones and we are lucky to get ONE load for the day.

I like the responses here too,I too enjoy the experience and it is a form of connection with nature for me as well. Cutting wood is something we do as a family as well.I laugh as i do laundry afterwards,theres always sawdust on most of my clothes and the wash for a while.

I laugh as i do laundry afterwards,theres always sawdust on most of my clothes and the wash for a while.

Sounds like it might be time to sharpen your chains... The only thing I find in my laundry is chips. :D

Ok here is from last year, $300 for 10 cords of 8 foot logs delivered. $350 for a new chain saw Husky 350 w/18" bar. about 4 gallons of gas @ $3.50-$3.75 per gal. 6 pack of Husky 2 cyc oil $7.
$30 new 6# splitting maul
Really thats about it and the chain saw will last for years.
Ok so this year I spent $730 for a new Husky 372xp so what.
I still figure I save over $1200 a year in propane easy.

Hey Coldfront, I'm in the same boat as you were... I've got a Husky 340 and looking for a larger saw... I'm leaning towards a MS361 or Husky 346 or 357. I think the 372 might be more than I need. :)

This is our first year heating with wood. So far our cost has been the Husky and all the PPE- about $500. The wife and kids like it a toasty 72 inside, so this year unlike all the previous years, I haven't been chiding them and turning down the thermostats. Just more reason to get that next saw.:greenchainsaw:

Hey Coldfront, I'm in the same boat as you were... I've got a Husky 340 and looking for a larger saw... I'm leaning towards a MS361 or Husky 346 or 357. I think the 372 might be more than I need. :)

This is our first year heating with wood. So far our cost has been the Husky and all the PPE- about $500. The wife and kids like it a toasty 72 inside, so this year unlike all the previous years, I haven't been chiding them and turning down the thermostats. Just more reason to get that next saw.:greenchainsaw:
For $50 more than a 357xp get the 372xp you will be glad you did. I am so happy with the 372xp words can't describe, all my cutting buddies are jealous.

Well shoot ya! I didn't realize the difference was that small. No brainer!

Now the toss up is MS361 or 372Xp. And not to take the thread off course. I've been searching the chainsaw forum already....

Hmmm, well here's the list:

1200.00 for stove and acces.
640.00 for the 7900
20,000 for the bobcat(already had)
2,500 for the grapple bucket(bought for wood)
Already had the 1 ton and trailer
500.00 I had into building a log splitter.

And I would do it all again, F:censored: the gas company! At least I have something at the end of the day that makes me money!:cheers:

And I would do it all again, F:censored: the gas company! At least I have something at the end of the day that makes me money!:cheers:
Not to mention if the whole world went to hell and no gas or electricity I would still be warm as long as I can get a little chainsaw gas for next season, I have my fishing poles and tip ups, and deer rifle ready to go.

Not to mention if the whole world went to hell and no gas or electricity I would still be warm as long as I can get a little chainsaw gas for next season, I have my fishing poles and tip ups, and deer rifle ready to go.

Haha, A country boy can survive!!:clap:

Hello, I am new to this site. I wish I'd found it sooner. I am about to install an OWB made by Clearflame. I tried to research all I could before committing but found it hard to find good information. I have a friend who has been running his Clearflame for two years now and he's happy with it. I haven't picked up the stove yet but it should be arriving at the dealer any time now.

I won't itemize my expenses because I already have a chainsaw, John Deere tractor, trailer and anything else I need. I own 40 acres of mostly wooded strip mine property so I have lots of wood plus alot of other places I can cut. I hate to think of whether I am coming out ahead or not in terms of dollars. The OWB costs $7,000 plus. We just finished building our house last year and only have heating bills from January of this year on I think. We had one $400 electric bill that I remember but it was really cold that month. So I don't have a decent baseline to compare after the we start burning wood. We have a two-story house with full basement. I have two heat pumps with electric resistance backup in each air handler. One heat pump serves the basement and main floor. The other one takes care of the upstairs.

Bottom line is my wife is always freezing even with the heat pumps keeping the house at 70 degrees. My goal is to keep her warm and to never see those backup resistance coils on again. I also think I would rather pay for something I actually own vs. paying the electric company to heat my home from month to month. That money is just gone.

Horse powered, belt driven, cutoff saw.
Still need to fell the trees though.

Latest posts

Back