What is "Set Display" on a mill's features?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Broussard

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at the NorWood LumberMate 2000 is see the following data:

Set Display: 8/4", 4/4", ¾" and standard scale
(9/4", 6/4", 5/4" and 9/8" optional)
(5cm, 4cm. 2cm metric scale optional)

What does this mean??

it's either the scale stick which can be set to indicate lumber thickness from a reference height or the direct scale on the setworks...the lt-15 has a ruler scale
to read reference height, and a 4" per turn scale on the up/down crank..with 1/16" increments.

one of these guys who has one will know for sure..i'm just rattling the keyboard.

# The first set of thickness numbers are for cutting 2 inch,1 inch ans 3/4 inch thick lumber. The 9/4' and 5/4 numbers are used for grade sawing leaving extra stock for cleanup after any shrinkage from drying. These scales are usually furnished when a sawmill is bought new. One other thing is if this sawmill has a form of setworks these could be the programed settings in it..

Not to insult your intelligence, but in case you didn't know, hardwoods are measured in quarter inches. 4/4 (pronounced "four quarter") is equal to 1" but can be as thick as 1 3/16". (If you are selling to a broker, 4/4 lumber must be 1 1/16" to 1 1/8" thick.) 5/4 (five quarter) equals 1 1/4", 6/4 (six quarter) equals 1 1/2" and so on.
The term you are asking about means the company will furnish a scale that will allow you to cut 2", 1" and 3/4" material by aligning some sort of marker on the saw head to a scale attached to the carriage frame. These "set points" have already included the saw blade kerf (the amount of wood the blade takes out) in their measurement so you don't have to do any math. The standard scale they refer too is just that, a standard yardstick if you will. It usually measures the distance up from the log bed in inches. You would use that if you were making non-standard lumber, like 1/2" or 8"x8", etc. When using the standard measure scale, you have to remember to take into account the saw kerf when doing your calculations. For most band mills, that means adding 1/8" to the amount of distance you drop for your next cut.
Clear as mud?

No offense, Sawmill, but that is not what 9/4 and 5/4 are for. They are simply units of measurement. Often, someone (i.e. brokers) will ask for "heavy 5/4" (for example) which means they want their lumber 1 1/4 thick plus some extra to allow for processing. In that case you would give them lumber that would be from 1 5/16" to 1 7/16" inches (in other words, an extra 1/16" to 3/16" over the actual size).

Last edited:
That is what I was trying to say. I would like to see you take a board and try to sell it to someone that's wants the finish product at 15/16 of an inch. You will be getting a lot of boards back that won't make it sawed at 1 inch thick. In a years time I sawed 200,000 + board foot per year and have had lumber that I sawed sold to Hayworth and Herman Miller so I guess I don't have a clue as what I am talking about.

Well, again, I meant no offense. You made it sound as if you needed to cut 5/4 to achieve 3/4" dressed lumber, and I have had many amateur woodworkers make that very same assumption. Your wording was not clear. I apologize for offending you.

Last edited:
Hey thanks timhar and sawmill. Between the two of you, I think I figured it out. Being new at anything, there's always alot of "dumb" questions. But hey, I'll be dumb if it will make me smart at this stuff.
Thanks guys!

Back