What is the Real Definition of Dry Wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood that old here has long since started to rot by now. At least in the PNW it has. Also Doug fir gets really splintery after a few years.

My stove is incredible, it's a side loader and air tight except for a gasket I should repair in the door. It has a draft like a torch. The wood I am burning is Sugar Maple. The supposedly green stuff I am burning is cuttoffs from the logs I felled last month when the sap was low.
I'm not inquiring about how to build a fire, rather I'm very interested in the MC content of wood and how it is suspended within the wood and how that effects it's burnability and how fast the vascular bundles within the wood give up MC and at which rate and why.
John
MC content in wood varies from species to location. I mean location in the length of the tree itself. Obviously a big round section will dry out slower than a small branch. I just try and split my rounds small for better and faster drying times. The more open and bark-free surface area of a round, the faster it will season and dry out. Keep top of stack covered; in the sun if you can and open for breeze to air dry. Leave it seasoning the one full year for most hardwoods or two or more for Oaks and it should get to around 18-20 percent and then I move small amounts of it to my indoor racks near the wood stove to get down to 10 percent. Voila!

Latest posts

Back