What Kind of tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suaf

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Sorry - no pics - all the squirrels have grabbed the evidence.

I am wondering what type of tree a nut that I have seen squirrels carrying around came from.

Description:

green casing almost identical in texture and color to a walnut casing. However, this does not have the tennis ball size/shape of a walnut casing. It is more the shape of a football and a little bigger than a rabbit's foot (have no idea where that example came from:).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Good guess from down under arboralliance. sauf is in northern Ill. and that would be a zone 5 or better. It is possible as the northern pecan is related to the walnut family. sauf, do you or your neighbors have a pecan that is at least 15 years old?

antigrassguy said:
Good guess from down under arboralliance. sauf is in northern Ill. and that would be a zone 5 or better. It is possible as the northern pecan is related to the walnut family. sauf, do you or your neighbors have a pecan that is at least 15 years old?

That's a good question. Some of my neighbors yards are more 'wooded' than others/ I don't see any trees resembling walnut in the area. However, there is a tree 2 doors down that has leaf structure like a wlanut but the leaves look slightly larger than a walnut. It's the only tree I can see that looks like it could be a nut tree. I should take a pic and post it. Sorry I don't have more info on it. I'll try. Thanks for the posts.

I looked up some Butternut images and they certainly resemble the neighbor's tree. Interesting - that very well could be it. Either way, nice to know we have trees in my area besides ash, locust and silver maple - BORING!

sounds like the hickory family to me, which would include hickory, butternut and pecan.

does the outer husk break off in 3 sections? if so, i would lean toward pecan.

OK - here's another one. I was strolling just outside my neighborhood, and came upon a tree that has some sort of nuts growing all over it. I couldn't find any on the ground. However, they looked to have a brownish/orange casing with what appeared to be very small reddish bumps or thorns on the casing too. It looked like the casing was in 3 sections so may be pecan - but does that description otherwise sound like pecan?

Hhhmmm...

Not Pecan...

Litchi chinensis perhaps?:heart:

Really teasing with the limited descriptions and lack of pic's...

Does your mobile phone have a camera on it?

Perhaps it's Artocarpus heterophyllus ripe n ready for plucking... :ices_rofl:

Here in ailartsuA we have a fruit/nut that you dont see often, it is found in/from the tree frequented by the mighty yet etherical "drop bear" a distant and nearly extinct cousin of the Koala, the seed/fruit that comes from this tree only seems to drop out when the bear is present and is browny green and varies in size from a large pea size through to a small golf ball size, soft and sticky and inedible... Feceus indigestus is the botanical name if memory serves me correct... One finds similarly undigestible entities and verse on this web site from time to time...:cry:

suaf said:
OK - here's another one. I was strolling just outside my neighborhood, and came upon a tree that has some sort of nuts growing all over it. I couldn't find any on the ground. However, they looked to have a brownish/orange casing with what appeared to be very small reddish bumps or thorns on the casing too. It looked like the casing was in 3 sections so may be pecan - but does that description otherwise sound like pecan?

sweetgum, or horsechestnut maybe? Oh well it's a start!

Latest posts

Back