What kind of wood is this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that wavy/curly grain pattern the norm? Will it be throughout tree? Is it a hardwood? I think sycamore is fast growing so I would think softer but…? I don’t know.

I believe ikeholt may have nailed it, sycamore. The larger logs have that camo pattern bark. Plus a lot of bark is missing and what is there most is very loose. The wavy grain seems to be present in all the logs to different extents. I cut one small log to see what it may look like. And also to see if it’s a soft or hard wood. It seems to be fairly hard, and wavy/curly grain carries through, would make beautiful projects. I may be bringing logs to a local to have them milled into usable planks( fingers crossed) not sure moisture content yet but logs have definitely been there a bit and are more dry than wet but usable? I don’t know. I have space in my drying rack and or sons very hot and dry walk up attic.
Anyone familiar with sycamore ? Is it a hard wood? Etc.

I believe ikeholt may have nailed it, sycamore. The larger logs have that camo pattern bark. Plus a lot of bark is missing and what is there most is very loose. The wavy grain seems to be present in all the logs to different extents. I cut one small log to see what it may look like. And also to see if it’s a soft or hard wood. It seems to be fairly hard, and wavy/curly grain carries through, would make beautiful projects. I may be bringing logs to a local to have them milled into usable planks( fingers crossed) not sure moisture content yet but logs have definitely been there a bit and are more dry than wet but usable? I don’t know. I have space in my drying rack and or sons very hot and dry walk up attic.
Anyone familiar with sycamore ? Is it a hard wood? Etc.
Sycamore is a hardwood, though not as hard as maple or oak. It machines about like Cherry and has beautiful rays when quartersawn. It was used as decorative interior wood in some Victorian houses in our city. I've heard it has so much water it won't float when green. It's not very rot resistant so not good for exterior projects.

Sycamore is a hardwood, though not as hard as maple or oak. It machines about like Cherry and has beautiful rays when quartersawn. It was used as decorative interior wood in some Victorian houses in our city. I've heard it has so much water it won't float when green. It's not very rot resistant so not good for exterior projects.
I have saw many cutting boards made from Sycamore,just has to be sealed really good.The wood he has pictured is showing some grain signs of soft Maple.

Latest posts

Back